Sisters (MMGM)

Sunday, April 19, 2015

     Hee. Hee. I can't stop giggling. (*takes a deep breath* *feels calm* *feels funny* *massive wave of giggling* *feels calm*) Hi every--heeeeeeeee, heeeeeeeee--ahem. Hi everyone and welcome to MMGM. Today I'm doing a book review on an epically, epic book: "Sisters" by Raina Telgemeier.  Well, actually it's a comic book, but I liked so that's that. 




Summary (from Amazon): 

The companion to Raina Telgemeier's #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestselling and Eisner Award-winning graphic memoir, SMILE.

Raina can't wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren't quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she's also a cranky, grouchy baby, and mostly prefers to play by herself. Their relationship doesn't improve much over the years, but when a baby brother enters the picture and later, something doesn't seem right between their parents, they realize they must figure out how to get along. They are sisters, after all.

Raina uses her signature humor and charm in both present-day narrative and perfectly placed flashbacks to tell the story of her relationship with her sister, which unfolds during the course of a road trip from their home in San Francisco to a family reunion in Colorado.


What I Liked About This Book: 

This is something I can't say about every book: I could actually relate to "Sisters". The things that happened in "Sisters" were very realistic. Fights, drama, hair pulling, punch buggies, and others may be an interesting way to build the plot, but Raina Telgemeier was able to pull it off. Because I have an (annoying) little sister, the things that happened to Raina and Amara--the main characters--were very relatable, because I've gone through those things too! It helped me realize that I'm not the only one dealing with this stuff. And to have a book that you can relate with kind of makes you have a telepathic connection to how the characters feel. Let me put it this way: It was PREEEETY awesome. 

What I Didn't Like About The Book:

I think the only thing I didn't like about the book was that it was TOO short. It took me less than an hour to read and made me want to pull my hair out (Not that I want to be bald. That was a scary thought...). I mean I read a lot of long books like KOTLC, but "Sisters" seemed SO short. I want to know more about what happened to them!!!

If you like my review(s), please comment, follow me by email, or subscribe. Everyone's support is highly appreciated. Thanks so much!

If you'd like to go back to the Shannon Messenger's blog or to the MMGM list, click 

HERE

If you'd like to go to Raina Telgemeier's website to read more about her books, click
HERE

Have a nice week! 

~Cindy

20 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this book! Although I don't have a sister, I do have a brother, so I'm sure I'd relate to many of the same issues. Thanks for sharing!

    And I checked out your THE TIME OF THE FIREFLIES review, too. All of Kimberley's books are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I think you've read my mind. I LOVE Kimberly Griffith Little's books too, and they ARE preeetty epic. As for relating to the book...I think YES. Even if you have a brother--I'm not SURE about this because I only have a sister...but still--you can still relate to this book. I mean, siblings are all the same...right? :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  2. I've read some of Raina Telgemeier's books before, but not this one. Definitely adding this to my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you enjoy reading comics too! I usually read regular books, but when my uncle bought me this book for Christmas, I sat down and began reading it right away. And the cover is...interesting... :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
    2. And I also forgot to say a big "THANK YOU" for following my blog. Thank you so much for the support Ms. Sinclair. It doesn't go unnoticed. :-)

      #YouAreNowMyBestFriend

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  3. Hi Cindy!
    I've read both Smile and Sisters and I thought they were awesome as well :). Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just hate it when you try to publish a comment and Blogger eats it up? It's happened to me fairly often. (What did I do to you, Blogger?! What?!) Back to the books. I HAVE read SMILE and I agree with you. It was pretty awesome. If you'd like to read more of Raina Telegemeier's books, I would definitely recommend reading DRAMA. Thanks for the kind words! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! And if you end up reading it and liking it, I would suggest you read SMILE and DRAMA. Those are some other (comic) books that Raina Telegemeier has written. happy reading! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  6. Cindy, I have two sisters, so I can relate. Except, uh, I'm the baby in my family, so maybe I can't! I've heard a lot of great things about this graphic novel so I'm definitely going to add it to my TBR list. Thanks for a fun review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee. Hee. And yes, it is definitely a good book. I think my favorite thing in the book is the pictures. Hilarious! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  7. I love the cover. And as the oldest of two girls, I think I would relate to this one. Although, now that we're grown, my sister is my best friend.
    I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love it, although I can't say the same about my sister. At the age of 7, she's got the annoying sister role down. *sigh* :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  8. This is a good one, Cindy. I enjoyed every page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds awesome! Thanks for recommending :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! It's what I'm here for! Have a nice week! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
    2. And thanks for following me! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it safe to assume that your comment was duplicated? It happened a lot around here. Still trying to figure out why. :-)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS