Every Soul A Star (MMGM)

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Welcome to MMGM, people! I'm really, really happy right now so let me just say this: Oh. My. God. Legit. EVERY SOUL A STAR is such a good book. I can't even. Like, after reading it, I was so attached to the characters. There is no possible way that those characters aren't real, right? You see what I mean? The story is so detailed and you can totally see what is happening. I can't even. Like dude, check out the cover: 



  • Age Level: 8 - 12 years
  • Page Count: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; Reprint edition (September 1, 2009)

Dude, it's super simple, but. So. Breath taking. (I feel like a surfer. Duuuuude...) The cool thing about this book is that it switches point of view every chapter, so you can see the story from every person's point of view. You can also see everyone's story before they meet each other. This book is definitely ranking up there with the best. Make room for the top, people, because this one's taking over. 


"Ally has lived at the Moon Shadow campground for as long as she can remember. Her parents, dedicated star watchers, bought the campground when they discovered that it would be ground zero for an upcoming total solar eclipse. Over the years, they created a stargazer-friendly atmosphere and now are expecting over a thousand people to spend time at their campsites. Ally can hardly wait to welcome the crowds and observe this amazing act of nature.

Bree is into make-up, nail polish, and clothes. She keeps a scrapbook of clothes and pictures of models and studies it faithfully, since her life's dream is to become a runway model. She is incredibly popular at school and can't understand her younger sister, the science geek. Bree's life comes crashing down around her when her scientist parents announce that the family is moving to the Moon Shadow campground. They will be living there for at least the next several years, since the family currently running the place is relocating to the city. How can they be serious? Bree can't imagine life without the mall, tons of friends, and TV.

Jack is pretty much an outcast at school. He's overweight and not at all interested in sports. He's smart enough, but he'd rather listen to his music than pay attention in class. When he is offered another option instead of summer school to make up his failing grade in science, he finds himself boarding a tour bus filled with science nerds all headed to the country to witness some crazy eclipse."

Not sure about the book yet? Here are: 

5 Reasons Why You Should  Read EVERY SOUL A STAR: 
  • The characters.  Every character had flaws, some were obvious, and some were carefully hidden. That is, until the end where everything was revealed and I was like, "WHAT? How did I not realized that?" 
  • The point of view. I think YES. There were three ways the story was portrayed. It was either from Ally, Bree, or Jack. It was cool to see the story from a different person's point of view because you could see their thoughts and say, "Oooh, now I understand why he/she did that." It's cooler this way than having one person's point of view for the entire story because let's be real. That'd be boring. 
  • The things you learn. Science geeks beware. (I'm one too, so this book was perfect for me.) This book is all about solar eclipses and watching as it happens. If you want to see a solar eclipse, but have never gotten your chance to, READ THIS BOOK. I'm serious.
  • The details. There are so many details in this story. And when I say that there are many details, I don't mean run on details that make you want to go to sleep! I mean details that support the story and make it imaginable. These details are the good kind, so no need for sleeping! 
  • The plot. This is the BEST reason why you should read this book. Yes. The plot. The beginning was like how everything is fine and dandy, people at home, people getting ready to go, and so on. It's not until the middle and end that there's action, but it's good that nothing SO intense is happening yet because getting to know the characters is super important. I'll admit, I was really confused at first because the story kept changing point of view, but like I said before, it's good that the author gave us time to get to know the character's before it gets too complicated for us to understand. It's kind of like easing us into the story. (And then trapping us and never letting us out. :-))
My Rating: 4.5/5 only because I wish there were more chapters in Jack's point of view. By the end of the book, I felt like I could be best friends with Bree and Ally, but I wanted to get to know Jack a little more. Another reason is because I wish the story continues. I wish it was longer. I wish there were more to learn about the group. I wish. 

Still not sure? (Man, are you hard to persuade! But don't worry. By the end of this post, I'll have you running to the bookstore.)

Here are some quotes from EVERY SOUL A STAR: 

"And as streams of light fan out behind the darkened sun like the wings of a butterfly, I realize that I never saw real beauty until now."

“I am not plain, or average or - God forbid - vanilla. I am peanut butter rocky road with multicolored sprinkles, hot fudge and a cherry on top.” 

“The trick is that as long as you know who you are and what makes you happy, it doesn't matter how others see you.” 

So quickly before I end this awesome review, here's a bio of EVERY SOUL A STAR's author. WENDY MASS!!!

Wendy Mass is the New York Times bestselling author of fifteen novels for young people (which have been translated into 14 languages and nominated for 74 state book awards), including A Mango-Shaped Space (which was awarded the Schneider Family Book Award by the American Library Association), Leap Day, the Twice Upon a Time fairy tale series, Every Soul a Star11 Birthdays, Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, and FinallyThe Candymakers , and 13 Gifts. Her latest books are The Last PresentPi in the Sky, and a new early reader series called Space Taxi. Wendy wrote the storyline for an episode of the television show Monk, entitled “Mr. Monk Goes to the Theatre,” which aired during the show’s second season. She tells people her hobbies are hiking and photography, but really they’re collecting candy bar wrappers and searching for buried treasure with her metal detector. She lives with her family in New Jersey.

Thanks so much for joining me today for MMGM! Have a nice week!  

~Cindy

To go back to Shannon Messenger's website, click HERE
To visit the author's (Wendy Mass) website, click HERE







              

14 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this one as I've enjoyed some of the author's other books. Thanks for the thorough review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Wendy Mass writes he type of books that suck you in and never let you out again. SOMEONE HELP ME! Anyway, I really hope you like it! Thanks for visiting! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  2. This sounds lovely! And as a matter of fact I -have- always wanted to see a solar eclipse, so clearly this book was meant for me. Thanks for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, hello fellow science geek-ian. I too, long to see a solar eclipse. Forget that. Thanks for the feedback! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  3. I think I have a copy of this book on my shelf and haven't gotten to it. Now I will pull it out and move it to the top of my stack. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! You won't be disappointed! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  4. I read this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I remember the ending was particularly well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're remembering the right book. And that's awesome that you've already read it. Conclusion: Great minds think alike. :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the enthusiastic review. I was just gazing at the stars last night--there was a particularly bright one. Maybe it was Venus? Maybe it's a sign I should read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Read it. Anyway, thanks for stopping by! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a really good book :). I have two of Wendy Mass's books sitting on my shelf, but I haven't read them yet *guilty face*. Thanks for the rec!!

    ~Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasps* *hyperventilates* *coughs* HOW DARE YOU??? I mean dude, come on. Read. Ze. Books. :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  8. This sounds fantastic! I've read JEREMY FINK AND THE MEANING OF LIFE--loved that one! Thanks for sharing :). I'll add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS