North of Nowhere (MMGM)

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Hi everyone! Sorry about not posting last week--I was super busy with a Memorial Day barbecue and also 2--yes, 2--birthday parties, so I wasn't able to actually finish the book I was planning to review. Speaking of which, did everyone have a nice Memorial Day?

This week I'm featuring another one of Liz Kessler's books, North of Nowhere. (I loved the cover and I think you'll agree...)



  • Age Recommended: 9 - 12 years
  • Page Count: 272 pages
  • Publisher: Candlewick; Reprint edition (August 6, 2013)

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Emily Windsnap series comes a captivating adventure about family, friendship, and the bonds that bridge time.

The sleepy seaside village of Porthaven hides a mystery: Mia’s grandad has vanished, and nobody knows why. When Mia and her mom rush to Porthaven to help her grandmother, Mia imagines long dreary days with no one to talk to except for the old-time fisherman at her grandparents’ pub. But that’s before Mia finds a diary on an empty, docked fishing boat and starts exchanging notes with a local girl named Dee, a girl who seems much like her. Mia is excited about having a new friend, but why do their plans to meet each other never materialize? And why does Dee claim to be stuck at home due to violent storms when Mia sees only sunny skies? Will Mia be able to solve the mystery of where — and when — her grandfather and friend might be before time and tide forever wash away their futures?

Here are: 

5 reasons why you should read NORTH OF NOWHERE: 


  • The plot. (*in singsong*) Time travel! I can't tell you much about the time travel because it would be giving away too much, but this book has the same main idea as A YEAR WITHOUT AUTUMN, but instead of just getting mislead by her best friend, the main character's grandfather goes missing. The ending almost made me faint. At that point, everything was revealed. And I bet you--no one saw it coming. 
  • The actions. There's no stopping Liz Kessler! This story is up and down. It's crazy one second, peaceful another, and then back to crazy! There's stuff going on the whole story, making sure that you're NEVER, EVER bored. 
  • The first few chapters. Um, YES! The second you open the book, the conflict is already there. The actions are already there. The main idea is already there. You can easily tell that Liz Kessler is all business. There's no time for intro's! And besides, you don't need an intro. The characters make sure that you know them right from the beginning. This is my favorite reason because the book is in a format that makes it very, very easy to understand. 
  • The friendship and family. This easily makes the book lovable because at the beginning, Mia is all "ugh" at the idea of spending her spring break at her GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE, but at the end of the book she learns that you have to value and appreciate everyone while they're still here. (It's so heart-warming!!!)
  • Because Amazon rated it 5 STARS. They did. They really did. Not many books get 5 stars, especially not on Amazon. A lot of my favorite books only got 3-4 stars so if this one got 5 stars... Don't believe me? Go see for yourself. Click here. (Disclaimer: The rating was 5 stars while I was writing the review, so if it goes down when you read this, then ignore this reason.)
My rating: Honestly? I give this book a 4.9 just because there will never be a perfect book. And if there were, NORTH OF NOWHERE would be it. (In general though, this book would be 5 stars.)

Opening lines from NORTH OF NOWHERE: 

"I need to write it all down. That's the only way I'll believe it's true. 

Spring break, eight grade. All those incredible, impossible things. Did they really happen? I've tried a million times to tell myself that they couldn't have. That none of it is possible. And I'm right; none of it is possible. 

But that doesn't change the fact that it is true. Everything did happen, exactly as I'm going to tell it now." 


About the author: Liz Kessler is the author of best-selling Emily Windsnap series, the Philippa Fisher series, the novel A Year Without Autumn, and the first book in a series of early readers about Poppy the Pirate Dog. About North of Nowhere, she says, "Many years ago, I visited a town that had been partially destroyed by a storm, and it sowed the seed of a story in my mind. When I came to write this book, years later, I had visited a different town--this one had been completely destroyed by a storm about a hundred years ago--and that was the inspiration for Porthaven. The magical element comes from my fascination with ideas about slipping through time--the past, present, and future affecting one another in circular ways and the results that could come about in the present day is we had the chance to go back and change the past." 

Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM today! I hope everyone has a fantastic week! 

To visit Liz Kessler's website or to get more information about her books, click HERE

To go back to Shannon Messenger's website and check out all the other MMGM's click HERE

***Sorry if there are any errors. Bear with me!***


~Cindy :-)








10 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one. Very intriguing storyline. The cover is so mysterious and pulled me in from the start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! And to be clear, I SO agree with you. The plot is quite interesting. And the cover...I can't express how much I love it. :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  2. Time travel books are so much fun! Have you read Snyder's Any Which Wall? It's a great book to start off summer reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. They really, really are. On the other hand, no, I have not read ANY WHICH WALL, but will definitely check it out. Thanks for the rec! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Cindy. Great review. I would really like to read this book. I do love time travel book and this one sounds very good. You're right. The cover is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like time travel. I do too, and hope one day in the future that scientists will figure out a way to travel forward and backward in time. I agree with the saying "Don't look back at the past, the present is a gift", but I think we should make an exception for time travel, right? Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed Emily Windsnap, so I'll have to check it out. I love the cover, too, and you had me at time travel and heartwarming. Thanks for the review! I'm glad you had a good Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay! Another Emily Windsnap fan. Just to be clear, if you enjoyed reading the Emily Windsnap series, this book was MADE for you. Thanks for the feedback! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  5. I love time travel books. And I really enjoyed The Year Without Autumn. Don't know how I missed North of Nowhere, but it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really great, trust me. I really recommend it, so if you do read it, let me know what you think! Thanks for the comment! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS