Indigo Blue (MMGM)

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Welcome to MMGM! Today, I'll be featuring a book called "Indigo Blue", by Cathy Cassidy. I thought that this book was perfect for Marvelous Middle Grade Monday because, well, Cathy Cassidy has created these characters who are FAR from perfect--in the best way possible. It makes things more...real. In many stories, things are so unrealistic. The plot of an unrealistic story goes a little like this: Happy. Happy. Sad. Issue solved. Yay. The end. Okay, I have to admit...BOOOOORING. Unlike those stories, Cathy Cassidy has created the perfect blend of a suffering family, with a single mom, and her daughter's struggle to keep the family together. A REAL plot looks like this: 


Cover
     "Indigo's mom has had it with her boyfriend, and has moved her girls out of their cozy home and into the worst place ever. Indie is not about to show anyone how it really feels, especially not her so-called best friend, Jo. But the truth is, the neighborhood's bad, the heat's useless, and there's little to eat. It's hard for Indie to ignore such a drastic change, but with a little sister who's too small to understand, and a mom who's feeling desperate, Indie's the one who's got to take charge." 

*Summary from flap




What I Liked About The Book: Like I said before, the book was REALISTIC. It wasn't fake, which is one of my pet peeves. Another thing that I like about the book was that it was rather short and I was able to read it in one sitting--but if I weren't able to read it all at once...then things would've gotten a little crazy. That's about it. The book was fully awesome, if you ask me. 


My Rating: 3.5/5 stars, only because of strong language and a little violence. Every-thing else was pretty good. 


About Cathy Cassidy: I was born in 1962. (It's scarily ancient...) I went to Art College in Liverpool, then got a job as fiction editor on the fab and legendary Jackie magazine. Later, I married my boyfriend Liam, went back to college and trained to be an art teacher. I taught in a Coventry secondary school for a few years, which I loved, then moved to Scotland with Liam to start a family. For 12 years I was the agony aunt for teen mag Shout, as well as teaching art in several local primary schools, but these days the books take up pretty much all of my time and attention.

My kids are almost grown up now, and after many years living in the beautiful Galloway hills in Scotland, we now live on Merseyside in a cool Victorian house that looks out over a park. When I look out of my writing room window I can see swans and geese on the lake... awww!

I've been veggie for over 30 years, and was vegan for 8 of them - a chocolate-eating vegan, like Storm! Recently I've gone vegan again... yikes! I love old clothes, old toys, cars, books. We have two dogs called Kelpie & Finn and a cat called Pepper.

I love my family, I love my home and I love my work. Of all my jobs, writing has to be the best - it's the perfect excuse to daydream, after all! 


Wait, Hold On: This is a real emergency. Did anyone notice my new look?!

My computer dudes--who just happen to be my uncles. :-)


Linky Stuff: If you'd like to go to Cathy Cassidy's website, click HERE. If you'd like to go back to Shannon Messenger's website or check the rest of the MMGM's click HERE

Have a nice week, everyone!

~Cindy




8 comments:

  1. Added this one to my list. Great story idea and the author had had such an interesting life. Thanks for featuring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Hope you enjoy reading it! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  2. Love your new blog look, Cindy. It's very cool and very professional-looking. I've heard of this book but never read it. But I'm laughing to myself here because Cathy Cassidy thinks being born in 1962 is scarily ancient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! And if you don't mind the rambling, it took me (and my computer dudes) 3 days to do this. And yes, Cathy Cassidy's humor goes deep into her books too. I'm glad you like the look! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  3. Nice new look, Cindy. Very fresh. Thanks for the review. I will add this book to my TBR list. You made it sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that you're planning to read this one! Trust me, you won't be disappointed. :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  4. I love your new look, Cindy! Did you design it yourself?? Sounds like a good read. I'll have to check it out!

    ~Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paige! Thanks for the good feedback, but even my awesomeness can't do this. I actually got this look by applying a template into Blogger. (It isn't as easy as it sounds...) A lot of the stuff got messed up and I can't use the Advanced customizing thingy anymore, but I mean the look is worth it (I hope). If you'd like to see what I mean when I say "messed up", I'll give you the link to my test blog. Thanks again for commenting! :-)

      ~Cindy

      http://cindyreadsalottesting.blogspot.com/

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS