Seeing Cinderella (MMGM)

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Welcome to MMGM! It's my twentieth post! Yay me! Thanks to all my readers who have put up wit me for this long. Big announcement: This blog has reached more than 2,200 page-views!!! Anyway, I recently read SEEING CINDERELLA and am very excited to share it with you. I love the plot, the story, and most of all, the cover, and am sure you'll agree...





  • Age Range: 9 - 13 years
  • Series: Aladdin M!x
  • Paperback: 240 pages
  • Publisher: Aladdin (March 20, 2012)

"Sixth grade is not going well for Calliope Meadow Anderson. Callie’s hair is frizzy, her best friend, Ellen, is acting weird, and to top things off, she has to get glasses. And her new specs aren’t even cute, trendy glasses—more like hideously large and geeky. But Callie soon discovers that her glasses have a special, magical perk: When she wears them, she can read people’s thoughts. Crazy glasses aside, Callie has more drama to face when she’s cast as the lead in the school play—and instead opts to be an understudy, giving the role of Cinderella to Ellen. Can Callie’s magic glasses help her see her way to leading lady, or is she destined to stay in the background forever?"

5 Reasons Why You Should Read SEEING CINDERELLA (from Goodreads): 

1. The Premise: Calliope Meadow Anderson (“Callie”) finds out she needs glasses. Her new frames are hideously large—a total nightmare, except for one cool feature: When Callie wears them, computer screens appear over everyone’s heads, revealing their innermost thoughts! Suddenly, Callie knows what her best friend, secret crush, and locker partner REALLY think about her. Sometimes, that’s not a good thing.

2. Callie’s new friend Ana: She definitely has something to hide. But even with her super freaky glasses, Callie can’t decipher Ana’s thoughts, since the words on Ana’s computer screen appear in her native tongue: Spanish.

3. The Cinderella Metaphor: Callie auditions for the lead in her school’s production of Cinderella. But when she gets the part, she gives it to her best friend Ellen. It’s easier to be the understudy and avoid the spotlight. Isn’t it?

4. Super Freaky Chapter Titles: My favorites:

*Super Freaky Glasses Rule #3: Most People Tell Little White Lies. Don’t Be Offended. You Do The Same Thing.

*Super Freaky Glasses Rule #9: It’s Easier To Dislike Someone When You Don’t Have To Read Their Thoughts.

*Super Freaky Glasses Rule #12: People Guard Their Secrets Well. Your Magic Glasses Can’t Change That.

5. The Lesson: (from p.213) “One thing the glasses taught me: No matter how different we looked on the outside, on the inside we worried and wondered about the same things. We all hoped we’d find someone who would see us for the person we really were, and the person we wanted to be.”

I totally agree with these reasons, especially #2, because it just shows how thought out the story is. It's all very detailed and lifelike. If you're looking for a fictional book seems very much like a non-fiction book with magic, this one is for you. Actually, if you're looking for a good read in general, read this. It's a fantastic story. 

My Rating: 5/5! This book is perfection. Here's a list of the best things about this book: 


  • Plot. I've never read anything like this. This author has come up with something brand-new that the world has never seen before. The uniqueness of this story will make you want a sequel. 
  • Voice. Callie's voice is perfection. Her point of view is clearly stated and there is always a reason for her actions. If this was one of those love or hate things, I would definitely say LOVE. 
  • Meaning. If you read in between the lines and from cover to cover,  you will realize that this story has an important meaning. I won't reveal it, but if you read carefully, I promise you find it. You won't be disappointed. 
Opening Lines: 

"Once there was a girl with hair the color of dead leaves, teeth the size of piano keys, freckles as big as polka dots, and eyes that couldn’t see squat. Everyone laughed at her and called her Polka Dot. Poor Polka Dot felt like a total weirdo, and always wished a fairy godmother would appear and cut her some slack.

But that was just too darn bad, because fairy godmothers only care about beautiful girls with wicked stepmothers. So when Polka Dot spotted a fairy godmother resting on a park bench, she kept her wish simple and begged for better eyesight. Sweet naive Polka Dot, no one ever told her some fairy godmothers have ginormous attitude issues.

“I’m on a coffee break, kid,” said the fairy godmother. “Get yourself some glasses and stop pestering me.”

“Could you please stop writing in the car and talk to me?” Mom asked, flicking the turn signal and heading into the left lane.

“There’s nothing to talk about,” I answered, putting the finishing touches on my new story, “Polka Dot and the Cranky Fairy Godmother.” “I don’t want glasses. People who wear glasses get made fun of.”

“Callie, we’ve been over this already. Your headaches are happening for a reason. It could be that you need glasses. A vision test won’t take that long.”

“You’re right, it won’t.” I closed my journal and tucked it under my seat. No way was I showing up to Pacificview Middle School—my new prison, as of tomorrow—with nerd-tastic glasses on my face. With my freckles and crazy-frizzy hair, it would be like painting a target on my face and handing out bows and arrows to the student body. So last night, I’d come up with a plan—a way to make sure I didn’t get stuck wearing glasses, no matter how bad my eyesight was."


I loved this book so much! Anyway, here's a quick bio about the author of SEEING CINDERELLA...Jenny Lundquist! 


About Jenny Lunquist

Jenny Lundquist AuthorI was born and raised in Huntington Beach, CA, the original “Surf City USA.” I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Intercultural Studies with a minor in TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages) at Biola University. My favorite part of college was spending one semester living in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, where I drank lots of tea, met some really interesting people, and honed my Yahtzee skills.
I’ve painted an orphanage in Mexico, taught English at a university in Russia, and hope one day to kiss my husband at a cafĂ© in Paris. I live in northern California with my wonderful husband Ryan, our two sons and Rambo, the world’s whiniest cat.
My book Seeing Cinderella was published by Aladdin M!X  (an imprint of Simon and Schuster) in the Spring of 2012 and is available also through the Scholastic Book Club. My second book, Plastic Polly, was published in March 2013. I also signed another 2-book deal with Running Press for a YA series, The Princess in the Opal Mask. The first book, The Princess in the Opal Mask, was published in October 2013, and the second will debut in Fall 2014. I am represented by Kerry Sparks of Levine Greenberg Agency.
Links: 

To go check out more of Jenny Lunquist's books or to learn more about SEEING CINDERELLA, click HERE

To find more Aladdin M!x books, like SEEING CINDERELLA, click HERE

To go back to Shannon Messenger's website or to check out more MMGM reviews, click HERE

Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 

~Cindy




***Sorry if there are any grammatical errors! Bear with me! 


6 comments:

  1. Very intriguing sounding story. Thanks for the background information. I loved the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! And yes, it is very well written. :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  2. I've heard good things about this one. I love a good Cinderella retelling, and this one sounds unique. I love the premise of the glasses allowing her to see into another person's thoughts. Thanks for reminding me about this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the plot is very creative. I love the little twist on Cinderella and am glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks for the feedback! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  3. I read this last year and loved it. Very clever premise and wonderful writing. Thanks for a very thorough reminder of why I liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've read it and liked it too! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS