The Wig In The Window (MMGM)

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Hi, everyone! I think this might be one of best books I've ever read. And considering the title, it definitely was one of the most interesting ones I've read. The cover is to die for. 







  • Age Recommended: 8 - 12 years
  • Page Count: 368 pages
  • Type: Hardcover
  • Publisher: HarperCollins (June 18, 2013)

I think the reason why I like this book so much is because of how the title and cover fit the story so well. It's a little weird if you haven't read the book, but if after you do, I'm sure it will make sense. I'm seriously obsessed with detective stories right now, so if you see a lot of mystery books popping up here, that's the reason. Anyway, here's what made me super curious about THE WIG IN THE WINDOW. 

"Sophie Young and Grace Yang: best friends, seventh graders, spies. Equipped with walkie-talkies, binoculars, and candy, the girls sneak out for one of their midnight spy missions expecting a simple stakeout. But what starts as a silly game turns very real when they peek in on Luna Vista's notoriously bizarre middle-school counselor, Dr. Charlotte Agford (aka Dr. Awkward). 

Is there more to Dr. Agford then her tacky clothes and sugary falsetto voice? Sophie and Grace are convinced something sinister lurks below the surface...and they just might be right. Soon they'e racing to outsmart the suspicious counselor--all while cracking secret codes, dodging a mysterious blue car, and keeping tabs on strangers with unibrows and Texas twangs. 

But the strain of the investigation pushes the girls farther apart. Even if Sophie and Grace uncover the truth about Agford in time, will their friendship survive?"

Love it. Love it. Love it. Here are...

Five Reasons Why You Should Read (And Love) THE WIG IN THE WINDOW: 

  • The awesome depth of this book. It's not just a fun little read. I'll admit, the beginning was slightly confusing for me, but the further I got into the book, the deeper the story went. Once in a while, there will be a super good book that will stay with you. Even after the last page, the characters will stick with you and you'll probably never forget about them. 
  • The awesome theme. Teamwork and loyalty. There are a lot of moments in this story when the main character can just leave her friend and run away from those problems. But she never leaves anyone behind. Everyone's in it together. I never thought loyalty and teamwork were really important until I read this book, so if there is anyone out there willing to learn something new, this one is for you. 
  • The awesome plot twists. Yes, there are plot twists. And yes, they are awesome. This book is here and there and you never know where it's going to end. And speaking of the ending..
  • The awesome ending. I can't say too much about this one or I'd be revealing it, but trust me, getting through the whole book is a lot of work, but the ending is DEFINITELY worth it. (Ha, that just reminded me of the Fifth Harmony song, Worth It.)
  • The awesome title and cover. Like I said before, the title fits the story so well! I love it! And like I said before, it won't really make sense until you read it, which is yet another really good reason to read this one! And the cover...I don't really think it's necessary to talk about it. Too awesome! 
My rating . . .
I found this cool five star thing online and decided to use it here! Isn't this awesome? Oops. I've used the word awesome one too many times today. Argh, there it is AGAIN. 

IS FIVE STARS!!! Since all of the reasons had the word 'awesome' in them a least once, I don't see any reason to give this book anything less than FIVE STARS!!! (And besides, this book is perfection!)

Favorite Character(s): I know you guys might think I'm insane, but my favorite character was Dr. Charlotte Agford. She might have been the "bad guy", but I loved how she handled the situation and her cleverness... I love all the other characters too, but Dr. Charlotte Agford will probably be the one who will stick with me. :-)

Favorite Quote: 

"Grace claimed that she understood that if I got caught at Agford's I would find myself below virtuoso nose-picker Julian Winkle in the seventh-grade social order. But, then again, Grace herself had never witnessed the devastating power of a Dr. Awk-topus tentacle touch and 'check in'."

About the Author: Kristen Kittscher


Kristen Kittscher was a child neighborhood spy but (allegedly) grew up to be an upstanding citizen and author of books for young readers. The 2014 James Thurber House Children’s Writer-in-Residence and a graduate of Brown University, Kristen taught middle school English for many years before becoming a writer. She lives in Pasadena, California — home of the Rose Parade and the inspiration for her latest book, The Tiara on the Terrace (Harper Children’s, January 5, 2016)
I loved this book so much and hope word will spread and more people will be able to read this one. I'm was so happy to find out that there will be a sequel for THE WIG IN THE WINDOW!! It's called THE TIARA ON THE TERRACE and comes out January 5th 2016. I don't know if I can wait that long... And now...for the links...

Links: 

If you would like to learn more about the amazing author of THE WIG IN THE WINDOW, Kristen Kittscher, click HERE

If you'd like to see the trailer for this book (IT'S AWESOME), click HERE

If you'd like to see something awesome that has to do with Kristen Kittscher, click HERE. (It's hilarious.)

If you'd like to go back to Shannon Messenger's website or to check out more MMGM's, click HERE

If you'd like to a cool summer collage I have created, keep scrolling down....





And of course, no summer is summer without...OLAF!!!




Thanks so much for joining me today for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 

~Cindy

20 comments:

  1. Ooh, this one sounds good! And I agree--there is no summer without Olaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beeees, they'll buzz, kids with their dandelion fuzz, and I'll be doing what ever snow does in SUMMER...Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the summer reminders. I'm glad it's here finally. I've heard such good things about THE WIG IN THE WINDOW and your summary provided even more reasons to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! And I hope you have a great summer! I'm totally spending mine with a book! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  3. I liked this one, too. It's great when you get a book you really, really like in the summer. Have you read Michael Beil's The Red Blazer Girls series or Susan Runholdt's Kari and Lucas mysteries? If you like ghost mysteries, I became ridiculously addicted to the Phoebe Rivers Sara Normal books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of them except the Saranormal series, but I definitely agree that they are VERY addictive...:-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fun mystery, perfect for summer. I'm glad some of you like summer. My weather bug says it will hit 115 here on Wednesday and every other day this week will be over 100. Summer is not my favorite time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and WOW, really? 115 degrees? How do you people survive there? I'M dying over here and it's only 73 degrees. Wish you better luck with the weather! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this book too. And I was so lucky to meet the author! She's a real sweetheart. I'm looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmigod, really? You got to meet her? Now I'm jealous. :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  6. I read this one too! It was so well-written, and I enjoyed all the twists and turns--a sign of a good mystery. It also had a really interesting antagonist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll confess, I had to look up the word "antagonist". And thanks to Google, I found out that it means an enemy or adversary. And yes, I most definitely agree. Dr. Charlotte Agford was...like you said, an interesting character. Her cleverness totally had me fooled, so I was super surprised that a villain was that smart. :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this, thanks for the review. I loved the trailer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I definitely recommend watching the "cool thing that involves Kristina Kittscher". It's a really funny video. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  8. This has been in my TBR pile for far too long--but your rave review has pushed it to the forefront!

    Thanks for all the summer fun too. Summer's great (as long as there's air conditioning!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Tell me what you think of this one after you finish reading it! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  9. It's great to get such a strong recommendation for a book. And the title has me intrigued. I enjoyed your collages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And if you'd like to check out this week's MMGM (I guess Shannon got it mixed up...) the link is:

      http://cindyreadsalot.blogspot.com/2015/07/trading-faces-mini-reviews-mmgm.html

      Thanks so much! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  10. So glad you liked it, Cindy! A year (plus) ago I ran a middle school writing club and as part of it, we skyped with Kristen. Awesome author AND super generous with her time!

    Great review, and I love your Ode to Summer pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I *SO* wish I could meet her! I'm waiting for the next book, THE TIARA ON THE TERRACE to come out next year. Need a Tardis here, people. BTW, if you'd like to check out this week's review, (I think Shannon got it mixed up...:-), the link is:

      http://cindyreadsalot.blogspot.com/2015/07/trading-faces-mini-reviews-mmgm.html

      Thanks! :-)

      ~Cindy

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS