A Long Walk To Water (MMGM)

Saturday, July 18, 2015

I know I enjoy a lot of books, but I think this one has made it up to my Favorites list. :-) Introducing...





A LONG WALK TO WATER! As I've admitted many times before, I'm not really a fan of non-fiction books. So I surprised myself by reading this one and really enjoying this. Here's some info about A LONG WALK TO WATER. 

  • Age Recommended: 10 - 12 years
  • Page Count: 128 pages
  • Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers; Reprint edition (October 4, 2011)

"The New York Times bestseller A Long Walk to Water begins as two stories, told in alternating sections, about two eleven-year-olds in Sudan, a girl in 2008 and a boy in 1985. The girl, Nya, is fetching water from a pond that is two hours’ walk from her home: she makes two trips to the pond every day. The boy, Salva, becomes one of the "lost boys" of Sudan, refugees who cover the African continent on foot as they search for their families and for a safe place to stay. Enduring every hardship from loneliness to attack by armed rebels to contact with killer lions and crocodiles, Salva is a survivor, and his story goes on to intersect with Nya’s in an astonishing and moving way."

As you can see, this one is on the short side, but Linda Sue Park sure knows how to get to her point fast, so no need to worry about missing out on major events from the story. 

And I just wanted to add, ISN'T THE COVER LOVELY?! I love of all of the colors, the simple-ness (Is that a thing?), the title font, the sun in the corner, the silhouette! I'm no artist, but I can tell you that this cover work is one of the best of the best.

Here 5 Reasons to Read (And Love) A LONG WALK TO WATER 

  • The two points of view. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I love this reason so much.  This book is WAY different from other books that are in two points of view, because one is told in 2008 (Nya) and the other one is told in 1985 (Salva). 
  • You learn a ton about Southern Sudan and the war that was going on there. I never knew that there was fighting in villages and people had to walk hundreds of miles to refugees. Scary! And I also did not know that there was a place in Africa called Southern Sudan. Oops. So you learn a LOT of stuff. 
  • Details, details, and details. This story is told in EXTREME detail. Not too much that it makes you want to go to sleep, but just the right amount so that you feel as if you're there with Nya and Salva. It's slightly violent (because of all the war), but I would definitely recommend it for anyone 10 and older. Here's a sample. “The rain, the mad current, the bullets, the crocodiles, the welter of arms and legs, the screams, the blood." If you don't think that you or someone else can't handle the rest of the story, I wouldn't recommend reading this one. 
  • The characters. Salva is a real person. He makes some seriously hard decisions in the story that it's hard to believe that he's even real. But he is. This story is perfection. 
  • #1 Best Seller in Children's History Fiction. No question's asked, no explanation needed. 


LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT. 

Here's a quick bio about the awesome author of A LONG WALK TO WATER, Linda Sue Park! 




Linda Sue Park is the author of the Newbery Medal book A Single Shard, many other novels, several picture books, and most recently a book of poetry: Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems). She lives in Rochester, New York, with her family, and is now a devoted fan of the New York Mets.

Thanks so much joining me for MMGM! Have a nice week! :-)

~Cindy







The links: 

  • Linda Sue Park's website, click HERE
  • More about Salva and who he is now, click HERE. (Warning: Major spoilers!) 
  • Shannon Messenger's website/MMGM links, click HERE






5 comments:

  1. I like to read books set in different parts of the world because I learn so much. Have you ever read Ellis' The Breadwinner or Whelan's Homeless Bird? Both tell stories about girls your age who have very big problems. They are read by classes at my school and the students enjoy them even though they are sad. I'm glad you liked this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of those two but they sound wonderful! I will definitely check them out. Thanks so much for the thoughts and I'm glad you took the time to write me a comment!

      Delete
  2. I have been reading more non-fiction lately and this sounds really good. I will check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've been reading non-fiction, this one is PERFECT for you. There's one character that's fictional, Nya, but Salva's story is most definitely real. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I recently got a copy of this book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I agree with you that the cover is awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS