Dani Noir (MMGM)

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Welcome to MMGM! This week I'm featuring DANI NOIR, by Nova Ren Suma. It's an amazing book with an amazing cover. Check it out: 






  • Age Recommended: 11 - 14 years
  • Page Count: 272 pages
  • Publisher: Aladdin; 1 edition (September 22, 2009)
  • Type: Hardcover

"If this were a movie, you'd open to the first page of this book and be transported to a whole other world. Everything would be in black and white, except maybe for the girl in pink polka-dot tights, and this really great music would start to swell in the background. All of a sudden, you wouldn't be able to help it -- you'd be a part of the story, you'd be totally sucked in. You'd be in this place, filled with big lies, mysterious secrets, and a tween girl turned sleuth.... 

Zoom in on thirteen-year-old Dani Callanzano. It's the summer before eighth grade, and Dani is stuck in her nothing-ever-happens town with only her favorite noir mysteries at the Little Art movie theater to keep her company. 

But one day, a real-life mystery begins to unravel -- at the Little Art! And it all has something to do with a girl in polka-dot tights.... Armed with a vivid imagination, a flair for the dramatic, and her knowledge of all things Rita Hayworth, Dani sets out to solve the mystery, and she learns more about herself than she ever though she could."

So the deal with Dani (the main character), is that she is in love with noir movies, which are movies that are done in completely black and white. Her favorite "femme fatale" is Rita Hayworth. On day, she finds herself stuck in a serious, real-life mystery. Dani plays detective and puts herself in Rita's shoes. What would Rita Hayworth do?

I think the reason why this book stood out to me so much was because of Nova Ren Suma's style of writing. It's different from any other book I've read because there was a lot of going back and forth between the noir movies and what Dani is up to. I think I would've enjoyed this one a lot more if I'd watched those movies. 

Here are: 

5 Reasons Why You Should Read (And Love) DANI NOIR: 
  • It's about normal girl. Many books these days have characters that are stereotyped and fake. This is about a normal thirteen-year old girl detective. She's has her own personality that makes her different and unique in the best way. She's not boring, but she's definitely not the same as anyone else. 
  • The lesson. There's a liar. There's a cheater. There's a shy person. There's a curious person. There's a harmless person. And then there's a plain old person-person. The lesson in this book is that "Nobody is who they claim to be." Totally mysterious, I know. 
  • The cover. It's absolutely amazing. I love it. I need to show you guys the back. It doesn't really make sense unless you read the book which is yet another good reason you should read it! 
The left side is the back and the right side is the front, if you haven't figured it out yet. Isn't it sooooo pretty???


  • The perfect transitions. This book flows very nicely. The writing was clearly stated and I wasn't confused for a second! I would recommend this book for anyone who is craving a not-too-long-but-not-too-short read. It's perfect! 
  • The cool relations between Dani's life and the noir movies. I'll admit, I don't really watch noir movies, but if you do, you can totally relate to this book and trust me, YOU'LL REALLY REALLY LIKE IT. (Even if you don't watch noir movies, I would still recommend you do read this one. ) :-) 
My rating...




...Perfection. (I love that pic ^^^) 

About Nova Ren Suma: 


Nova Ren Suma is the author of the YA novels THE WALLS AROUND US as well as the YA novels IMAGINARY GIRLS and 17 & GONE, which were both named 2014 Outstanding Books for the College Bound by YALSA. Her middle-grade novel, DANI NOIR, was reissued for a YA audience under the title FADE OUT. She has a BA in writing & photography from Antioch College and an MFA in fiction from Columbia University and has been awarded fiction fellowships from the New York Foundation for the Arts, the MacDowell Colony, Yaddo, the Djerassi Resident Artists Program, the Millay Colony, and an NEA fellowship for a residency at the Hambidge Center. She worked for years behind the scenes in publishing, at places such as HarperCollins, Penguin, Marvel Comics, and RAW Books, and now she teaches writing workshops. She is from various small towns across the Hudson Valley and lives and writes in New York City.

Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! :-)

~Cindy

The links: 

-Nova Ren Suma's website, click HERE

-Shannon Messenger's website/MMGM's, click HERE

8 comments:

  1. Yes, the cover is unique and grabs your attention. Her other books sound great as well. Very unique story lines so thanks for sharing. Now I just need more time to read all of these gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the cover too! I liked the way that it continued on the back and how it fit the story perfectly. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. This one keeps popping up on my radar. Maybe it's time to add it to the TBR! Love that cover. I'm interested to know what they did with it when they reissued it for YA as Fade Out. (I think Dani Noir is a much better title.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. And I was kind of confused of why they had the same summary but had different names and covers. But then I found out that one was the hardcover version and the other one was the paperback version. Interesting, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
  3. I love your explanation The Lesson! Thanks for this review. I hadn't heard of this book, but I will be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! If you do, please feel free to let me know what you think of it! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This sounds amazing! I love the excerpt you gave at the beginning and the cover is gorgeous! I love mysteries, but especially ones with a noir feel. I'm definitely checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mysteries too! And I can't say that I agree on the noir feel, because I haven't actually watched any noir movies, but if I do, I'll probably be able to relate. Thanks!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS