Fierce Winds and Fiery Dragons + An Interview with Nan Sweet

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Welcome to MMGM! This week, I'm featuring a "Fierce Winds and Fiery Dragons", plus an interview with the author, Nan Sweet. (BTW, guess who's twelve today?!) 



  • Series: Dusky Hollows
  • Paperback: 210 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 1 edition (August 22, 2015)
  • Age Recommended: 8-12 
  • With the easy to follow writing, and wonderfully planned out plot, a lot of the younger audience would enjoy this book. (Although I can't deny that I liked this book as well. :-))

  • _________________________________


  • Before I begin the review, let's just take a moment to admire how cute the little dragon hatching out the egg is. (Ah.) Isn't he adorable? 







Amazon's Summary: 



"Ivy and Carrie love their new classroom even if the new teacher is a little strange. When Mrs. Huffity asks for volunteers to care for an egg, Ivy doesn’t budge. She’s had a few scary dreams about that egg and wants nothing to do with it. 


But when trouble comes, Ivy defends the egg. In her desire to save the baby that hatches, Ivy is tossed into the middle of an adventure. She discovers more than she ever wanted to know about fierce winds and fiery dragons."







I literally cannot get over how cute and meaningful the plot is. Ivy and Carrie ARE really truly best friends and they stick together even in the toughest situations. This is a seriously wonderfully written plot. 


Here are 5 reasons why you should read and love "Fierce Winds and Fiery Dragons" by Nan Sweet: 
  • It's impossible not to smile while reading this book. I mean, this story is about two 10-year-old girls who go on an adventure to protect an egg that the class is passing around fro evil! Seriously, what's not to like about this story?!
  • The main idea of the story revolves around a totally unbelievable thing, yet this story seems very real. This book is very fiction, but the way Nan Sweet wrote it makes it seem like it is really non-fiction. Obviously dragons don't exist, but when you're reading the book, you might get a little carried away and believe that dragons DO exist. I'm thinking that Nan Sweet has something up her sleeve. (dun, Dun, DUN!)
  • The ending is a complete cliffhanger! The whole time I was reading the book, I was like, this is gonna be a great ending...this is gonna be a great ending...this is gonna be a great ending...I got so excited and then...CLIFFHANGER! (I told you Nan Sweet had something up her sleeve!) But I liked the cliffhanger more than I was sad, because it leaves you wondering what happens, and then BOOM! ↡ ↡ ↡
  • You find out that there's a whole series of seven stinkin' books following "Fierce Winds And Fiery Dragons. Don't you just love it when you read a really good book, cry because you're left off with a cliffhanger and then find out the the author has written seven more books to follow the one you were reading? Yay! Here's the list of the rest of the book in the series. 


-Book 1: Fierce Winds & Fiery Dragons 



-Book 2: The Curse of the Invisibles 



-Book 3: Too Much School 


-Book 4: Adrift 

-Book 5: An Unexpected Adventure 

-Book 6: The Haunted House 

-Book 7: The Unicorn's Quest 

-Book 8: Cry of the Banshee 

  • The last reason why you should TOTALLY *love* this book is because it shows you that there's actually a lot more to friendship than you thought there were. I literally just found the best quote to go with this reason. "A good friend knows all of your best stories. A true friend has lived them with you." This quote is PERFECT for this book! (I'm such a genius.) So basically, what this quote is saying is that your friends are the ones who know your memories. Your best friend is the one who has shares you memories. Do you see the difference? 
My rating for the book is: 

5 STARS

because this book is SUPER easy to understand! A lot of the books I read are crazy complicated, but this one gave my mind a break and it was just awesome. I also wanted to add that any younger fans of "Keeper of the Lost Cities" will enjoy this book. 


*Cindy the book review is gone*
________________________

*Cindy the interview is HERE*



I was very lucky to get the chance to interview Nan Sweet who is, obviously the wonderful author of Fierce Winds And Fiery Dragons. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all of these questions! I really appreciate it! :-) Let's get started! 


Cindy:  What made you want to write a story about a creepy teacher, eggs, and dragons? 



Nan: It all started with a memory of those after-school specials where students are sent home with the bags of flour to care for.  I thought, what if it was an egg and hatched? Everything grew from there.  



C: The main characters, Ivy and Carrie, are very life-like. Were there any people who inspired you to write Ivy and Carrie up as characters? 



N: Most of the internal thoughts come from my own experiences.  I was the girl who daydreamed in class and was caught completely unprepared when the teacher called on me to read. I endured my fair share of teasing as well.  As for Ivy and Carrie, they are truly works of the imagination. I will take things I see people do in real life (push their glasses back or flip their hair) and bring it into the story to make the story stronger.


C:  Are there any authors that you look up to as you write? 

N: Dozens!  I love C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, Jessica Shirvington, Anne McCaffrey, and Louisa May Alcott

C:  Why did you choose to write fiction instead of another genre? 

N: Although I've written stories in other genres, fantasy is my first love.  When I write about dragons and unicorns, I'm at home in my mind (if that makes any sense). The words flow better, and I enjoy writing more.

C: What do you think are the easiest and hardest things about writing? 

N: The easiest part is coming up with plots and characters.  The hardest part is thinking about what a character is going to do in those spaces between dialogue.

For all of the aspiring authors out there, I want to give you some encouragement. Writing is like reading.  It's hard at first, but if you keep going, eventually, it becomes a habit and easy to do and then even fun. 

When I was in 7th grade, I decided to write a book.  I got a paragraph in.  My junior year, I wrote 50 pages of a new story.  In college, I wrote a full-length book. With each new book it gets easier and you'll learn more.     

C:  How would you describe your writing space? 

N: I have a little fleece blanket that plugs in for extra warmth, a Netbook that won't connect to the internet, and the couch. 

C: Could you explain to us a little bit about your writing process? 

N: I usually just start writing.  When I'm planning a complicated storyline, I will use mind-mapping and note cards to make a loose outline. I try to have the next few scenes in my mind before sitting down to write.  I work a full-time job.  On my breaks I walk around a little park and think about what is going to happen to Ivy and Carrie when I get home.

That's a wrap! Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me, Nan! And thank you to everyone who joined me for MMGM, and I hope you all have a nice week! 

Here are the links for this week! 

If you would like to find out more about Nan Sweet's "Fierce Winds And Fiery Dragons, click HERE

If you would like to go back to Shannon Messenger's blog or check out more MMGM's, click HERE.

~Cindy

8 comments:

  1. Nice interview. This also looks like a fun story. Oh, and Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And it IS a very fun story. I hope you get the chance to read it!

      Delete
  2. Is it your birthday, Cindy?? Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice interview. The book sounds really cute. I will try to check it out. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute is most definitely the best word for this book, Rosi. I'm glad you liked my interview with Nan. Hope you can check out the book sometime soon!

      Delete
  4. This sounds adorable and I love what you said about it reading almost like non-fiction so you believe that dragons are real. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seemed very non-fiction. I really wish dragons are real though. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS