Stargirl (MMGM)

Saturday, August 8, 2015

I'm super excited for today's MMGM. This week, I'm reviewing STARGIRL, by Jerry Spinelli! I think this cover is ultra-awesome once you get it...






  • Age Range: 12 and up 
  • Paperback: 208 pages
  • Publisher: Ember; Reprint edition (May 14, 2002)

"Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of “Stargirl, Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’ s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first. 

Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. In this celebration of nonconformity, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli weaves a tense, emotional tale about the perils of popularity and the thrill and inspiration of first love."

I don't know why but STARGIRL's cover reminded me of John Green's THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, which I heard is another very inspiring book. The reason why Stargirl inspired me is because she's not afraid to stand out and be different. All of the kids in Mica high are similar in some way, but Stargirl is unique and not like any girl you've ever seen. I think this story is super cool, because it shows you the power of being an individual and how awful people can be when someone is different from them. 

Here are...

5 Reasons to Read (And Love) STARGIRL: 


  • Its inspiring theme. Being diverse. Being extraordinary. Being different. Being Stargirl. It shows us the power of being unique and standing out. 
  •  Jerry Spinelli's style of writing. I really like his writing because he mixes in details and transitions the story really well which moves it along and also makes it quite enjoyable. I love, love, love, love, love his writing. 
  • The cover. I cannot tell you how much I like the cover. I mean it's literally perfect for the title. Get it? Star...girl...
  • The love-able characters. I'm not kidding when I say that the characters are extremely love-able. We have the two main characters, Stargirl (Don't forget her pet mouse!)  and Leo, and then the "villain" or typical mean popular girl, Hillari Kimble and then the side characters which are Kevin (who is Leo's best friend) and Archie (who has bones and skulls in his house--trust me, it's not as creepy as it sounds). 
  • The fabulous things that do not need an explanation. Since Stargirl was such a hit, a sequel was made for it named, "Love, Stargirl" and a movie is being made for it! They start filming in October. 
Since I can't leave you hanging with how fabulous Jerry Spinelli's writing is, here are some quotes I found from the book: 

1. "There were hundreds of us, milling about, calling names, pointing to summer-tanned faces we hadn't seen since June. Our interest in one another was never keener than during the fifteen minutes before the first bell of the first day." 

2. "Mostly, she looked like a hundred other girls in school, except for two things. She wore no makeup, and her eyes were the biggest I had ever seen, like deer's eyes caught in headlights." 

3. "I had to admit, the more I saw of her, the easier it was to believe that she was a plant. a joke, anything but real. On that second day, she wore bright-red baggy shorts with a bub and shoulder straps--overall shorts. Her sandy hair was pulled back into two plaited pigtails, each tied with a bright-red ribbon."

Now, here's a little bio about the amazing author of Stargirl, JERRY SPINELLI! 


"Spinelli was born on February 1, 1941, in Norristown, Pennsylvania, to Lou Spinelli, a typesetter, and Lorna Bigler. His family lived in an apartment that was situated in front of a smelly brewery in the East End of Norristown. Spinelli didn't read much as a child because he was always too busy playing sports. He reserved reading for times when he was "bored." When Spinelli went to highschool, his school football team won a big game. After the game, he went home and wrote a poem about the game. A few days later, his poem was published in the local newspaper. Spinelli gave up his dream of becoming a major league baseball player and decided he wanted to be a writer instead."

To wrap up this week's MMGM, here are the links!

If you would like to learn more about Stargirl or check out Jerry Spinelli's website, click HERE

If you would like to go back to Shannon Messenger's website or check out more MMGM's click HERE

Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM, and I hope you have a nice week! :-)

~Cindy 


2 comments:

  1. I love this book. I think it's one of the best I've read in the last couple years. Glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! This book is one of my favorites. I wish more people knew about it, though. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS