The Alchemist's Theorem (MMGM)

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Hi! Long time no see, at least for MMGM! That's right, I'm back today with a review! Please welcome...The Alchemist's Theorem: Sir Duffy's Promise by Margaret Chiavetta. And I promise that the cover has a really deep, significant meaning once you read the book. Take a look at the pretty...


  • Age Recommended: 8+ This book is literally amazing and perfect for basically anyone to read. If you're a younger reader, though, I would recommend having a dictionary by your side to look up words even if you're really hooked to the book and don't wanna put it down...

  • Page Count: 213 pages

  • Publisher: Margaret R. Chiavetta; 1st edition 

  • Publication Date: November 6, 2015

How I Got Ze Book: IT WAS MY FIRST REVIEW REQUEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DIDN'T GET THE BOOK AS EARLY AS A FEW OTHER ONES, BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE SHE WAS SIGNING IT FOR ME!!!! :-)





"This epic fantasy novel for middle grade readers has fun potion-making, faithful animal friends, and fantastical adventures. 

Mendel, an eccentric boy with an autistic nature, and the master alchemist Sir Duffy set out on a series of quests with their many weird and endearing creature companions—like Esther the snake-ish gusselsnuff, and Gooder the fat, lazy, carnivorous horse. These determined travelers must venture across the continent of Terra Copia, an exotic land where the plants and animals in one forest are completely different from the next. It is up to them to safeguard secrets and dangerous artifacts from many enemies—such as agents from the Academy of Advanced Disciplines, venomous pixies, and a mysterious pale stranger. If they fail, a terrifying curse will return to their land.

The Harry Potter audience will love the world of The Alchemist’s Theorem, and all of its magical alchemy, fantastical beasts, and epic adventure."


What other people thought about The Alchemist's Theorem: Sir Duffy's Promise...

"A rather dashing adventure from a new voice in the Middle Grade Fantasy arena that appears to have staying power.”—Insatiable Readers 

"Chiavetta avoids showing autism as either an entirely crippling illness or a special gift in and of itself. Mendel has autism and he has to learn ways of coping with the world... It becomes one aspect of who he is, not the sole defining quality of an inquisitive and inventive young man.” —Fangirlnation



5 Reasons why you should read and love The Alchemist's Theorem: Sir Duffy's Promise...


  • Lovely characters. Mendel and Sir Duffy have this really unbreakable bond, and it was amazing to see the scenes play out and how they stuck together. I was really sad when the book ended, because all of the characters were so sweet and caring and I JUST LOVE THEM TOO MUCH!!! *SOBS*
  • Teamwork lessons. No matter what crazy or terrible situation these guys get stuck in, they either find a way out of the situation or work together to overcome it. Very inspirational!
  • Amazing illustrations. (Yes, there are pictures and yes, yes they are amazing.) Lovely is just what they are! If you think that middle grade books are too 'advanced' to have pictures in them, you're completely wrong! The pictures really pull together the book and make it even more enjoyable. Not only do they make it more enjoyable, but they also help you picture the characters and scenes better. 
  • Plot twists and battles. HiYA! Pow! I feel like every page in this book is either heart-warming or really twisted. It's so sweet but also whoa-you-never-saw-that-coming like. Lovely!
  • A mixture of everything! Is it sci-fi? Is it fiction? Is it fantasy? You'll never know with this book! (Except that it says 'fantasy novel' on the cover, haha) I feel like it's different every time. There's a lot of alchemy in it, so definitely sci-fi, a lot of fictional events, but also fantasy animals, like Esther, the gusselsnuff!

I give this book and honest... 
                                                                                                         because it was amazing! 

About the Author: Margaret Chiavetta!


Want some cake? 
I was an anthropologist and spent several years working with monkeys. Scientists say you have to be objective about your animal subjects and avoid any interaction, but to me that was the best part. I got to know 300 monkeys by sight and personality. Observing and engaging with monkeys are how I learned so much about human behavior.
While I was assimilating to monkey culture in the subtropics, I began to write about my adventures. I went on to get my MFA in creative writing from the University of Washington Bothell. I took my ambition for anthropomorphism, fantasy and writing and arrived at my first book, The Alchemist’s Theorem: Sir Duffy’s Promise. There are many strange creature companies to the human protagonists and a great deal of inter-species communication. Just the way I like it.
(cue announcer voice) Wanna read an excerpt of the book? Or hear the one and only Margaret Chiavetta read it TO YOU? Click HERE and scroll down a tiny bit and you'll find the text along with the audio there! 
Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 

~Cindy :-)

Links: 

If you'd like to learn more about Margaret Chiavetta or more about her amazing book, click HERE

If you'd like to return to Shannon Messenger's website or check out more MMGM's click HERE

PS. The question of the day is...

How did you spend your Friday the thirteenth? (I almost got ran over by a car. I'm okay though!) 

Comment down below your answer!!!! Hope y'all liked this review! 



10 comments:

  1. This sounds super fun! I will have to add it to my reading list :). I spent my Friday doing schoolwork (especially Latin (; ) and making gluten-free lemon bars. Glad to see you posting again!

    ~Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet! I'm in love with your blog, in case you haven't seen my comment on your review, it's amazing! I hope you do get a chance to read it soon!

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  2. Interesting story line. The cover didn't grab me but your review certainly did. Thanks for the heads-up on this new title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly IS interesting, Greg! The cover itself doesn't really familiarize the story like some other books, but once you read the book, you'll understand why it's there.

      ~Cindy

      Delete
  3. Wait. What? You almost got hit by a car! Whew, glad you're okay. Friday the Thirteenth was my husband's birthday, so I took him out to dinner.

    This book sounds imaginative. And how interesting that the author studied monkeys in the subtropics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comment, Joanne! (I was crossing the street to get to school, haha) That's cool that you're husband's bday was on Friday the thirteenth!

      Delete
  4. My Friday the 13th won't make much impression--I've already forgotten it! Glad yours wasn't any worse. :) Thanks for the heads up on this book, as I probably would have skimmed right over the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, mine wasn't too bad! This book is great example of the 'you can't judge a book by its cover', but even I can't honestly say that I haven't done that before. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. Glad you survived the 13th. Yikes! How scary. Thanks for this review. The book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS