The Tapper Twins Go to War (With Each Other) (MMGM)

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Hope you've all been having a great weekend. It's time for MMGM! Before I get to the review though, I just wanted to say an early "HAPPY THANKSGIVING!". I'm super thankful of having the chance to share my thoughts on books with you guys, and I'm so happy to be part of MMGM.  Make sure to look for the Question of the Day later in this post and comment your answer down below! 

Alright, this week, I will be reviewing a hilarious book called The Tapper Twins Go To War (With Each Other). It's another book about sibling relationships, so if you have a sister or brother, I feel your pain. I actually was not expecting this book. I bought it from my school Scholastic Catalogue and was thinking that it was a chapter book...but it's not...well...well it is, but I mean...IT'S JUST DIFFERENT OKAY?! STOP GRILLING ME! Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here's the cover! I absolutely love the detail on this one. 




Oh shoot, I forgot to add the info. Grr...now it won't go in. Alright well, here it is...

Age Range: 8 - 12 years (The book itself is really short and really easy to understand)
Grade Level: 3 - 7
Series: The Tapper Twins (Book 1) (OMG! I just found out that this book is part of a series! How cool is that?!)
Page Count (at least in paperback): 219
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (April 7, 2015) 


"This brand-new series by a popular screenwriter is a pitch-perfect, contemporary comedy featuring twelve-year-old fraternal twins, Claudia and Reese, who couldn't be more different...except in their determination to come out on top in a vicious prank war! But when the competition escalates into an all-out battle that's fought from the cafeteria of their New York City private school all the way to the fictional universe of an online video game, the twins have to decide if their efforts to destroy each other are worth the price.

Told as a colorful "oral history" by the twins and their friends, and including photos, screenshots, chat logs, online gaming digital art, and text messages between their clueless parents, The Tapper Twins is a hilariously authentic showcase of what it's like to be in middle school in our digitally-saturated world."

5 Reasons why you should read and love The Tapper Twins Go To War (With Each Other): 

  • It's really short. I don't know about you, but my time has been seriously limited lately, so short books are my life right now. It's not missing any details, and it's not that short, so the book length is pretty perfect. *thumbs up*
  • The format of the book is DIFFERENT. I personally think that this book is PERFECT for the reluctant reader because the book isn't like a book. It's more like a...a...combination of things. Like listed above, the story is told from different people's point of views, and also through photos, screenshots, chat logs, online gaming digital art, and text messages between their clueless parents, etc, etc. When you're reading it, it doesn't seem like a book, it doesn't seem like you're really even reading it! Maybe this book will make your reluctant reader WANT to read! *thumbs up*
  • It's about TWINS! Which I think are super interesting. In this case, it's a girl and a boy, so obviously they don't look exactly alike or think alike (not all girl twins think alike either, but who knows!) , but it's cool to see the story from the eyes of one twin and the eyes of another. I'm a huge fan of switching points of views (as long as it doesn't get too out of hand/confusing. 
  • There are pictures! If you think that middle schoolers are too old for pictures, you're wrong. Utterly completely wrong. I mean sure, we don't really want fully colored in pictures of girls sitting under trees and reading books and guys running around and doing whatever it is guys do, but these pictures are awesome. It's kind of like a modern picture book. But with less pictures and more words. And a deeper story line. 
  • Fantastic message. If you know me at all, you know that I love books that have a deep embedded message that you don't understand until you read the entire book. I like random books too, but ones with messages usually stay with me longer than those about cows and pineapples. (speaking about pineapples, don't forget to follow me on instagram @cindythepineapple) 


My Rating: 





I like the idea of this one and laughed quite a few times, but I feel like Claudia went waaaaay out of her way to get revenge on Reese. A little exaggerated, but still a fun read. 

About the Author

THE HILARIOUS...GEOFF RODKEY!!! 



Hi! I’m Geoff Rodkey. I write things for a living: mostly books, movies, and TV shows…but I’ve also written for magazines, newspapers, video games, web sites, standup comedians, and even two United States Senators. Although at least one of them would prefer that I don’t mention that.                     I’m currently working on a middle grade comedy series about 12-year-old fraternal twins who live in New York City and don’t get along. The first one, The Tapper Twins Go To War (With Each Other), comes out April 7, 2015, with three more books to follow in 2015-16: The Tapper Twins Tear Up New York, The Tapper Twins Run For President, and The Tapper Twins Don’t Have a Title For Their Fourth Book Yet. (I’ll get around to retitling that last one at some point.)     Before The Tapper Twins, I wrote the adventure-comedy-mystery-coming-of-age trilogy The Chronicles of Egg. The Egg books are about as much fun as you can have between two covers, and I’m not just saying that because I wrote them. (If you want to check them out, start at the beginning, with Deadweather and Sunrise.)
_________________________________________________________________________________


Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM! And I hope all have a nice thanksgiving! 

ALSO! The question of the day is...What's your favorite holiday and why? Mine favorite is definitely Christmas, because then you're all excited for presents and then New Year's is right after and then Valentine's and it's just like a mob of crazy holidays stuff going on. Tell me your answer in the comments down below! 

Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope y'all have a nice week and an even nicer Thanksgiving! 

~Cindy

_________________________________________________________________________________


Links: 

If you'd like to see more Tapper Twins, click HERE

If you'd like to learn more about the hilarious Geoff Rodkey, click HERE

If you'd like to go back to Shannon Messenger's blog or check out more MMGM's click HERE


10 comments:

  1. I've seen this title floating around but have yet to grab a copy. I like the reluctant reader angle you presented. There seems to be an increase in the number of twins in my area so this title should do well with twins and anyone else needing a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I hope you get the chance to read it!

      Delete
  2. I liked this book a lot. And there is another on the way. I have it in my ridiculously big TBR pile and hope to get to it soon. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a must read and it's quite short too, so I think it'll be perfect for you!

      Delete
  3. Looks like it would work well for kids who liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid. (That was one of the very few books my reluctant reader son would read.) I'm always up for a short, funny read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually read a few of those! They're not quite my type, but still good for the reluctant reader! I definitely recommend this one to your son if he's a reluctant reader though, it's a must! :-)

      Delete
  4. My favorite holiday has always been Christmas, but I also love Halloween and Thanksgiving because all of my friends also celebrate those.

    The Tapper Twins sounds like a lot of fun. Much different from the book I'm featuring today, which is ALSO about 12-year-old twins (but they're identical twins) AND it has illustrations (drawings by the author). It's very long, though.

    Happy Thanksgiving and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could say that we're twinsies! Ha, get it? Cuz we're doing the same thing...and uh, reviewing twin books. No? Okay. Anyway, it sounds awesome and I need to go check this one out! Thanks for answering the question of the say BTW! <3

      Delete
  5. You are never too old for books with pictures. I ordered Shannon Hale's book about the princess that wore black and that book was for little kids (I just turned 31 yesterday and have no kids to speak of. None). And it is my fave book by her to date and I have both book one in her Princess book series and her stand alone novel Dangerous (at least I think it was). Oh and read Goose Girl (but don't own a copy). This book sounds quite intriguing and I have added it to my wishlist because that helps me remember books I will want to buy in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's so cool! I've actually read her "Princess Academy" book but haven't read the others. They sound really interesting! <3

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS