The Blood Guard (MMGM)

Sunday, January 17, 2016

***NOTE***: Hi! I just wanted to let y'all know that there seems to be a slight error with my MMGM link. This is my review from last week. If you'd like to check out my review for THIS week, click HERE. Thanks so much!

Hi, everyone! This week I have a book that I won from the wonderful Greg Pattridge! (Click on his name to read his awesome reviews!) I actually received this book from him a while back but never got the chance to read it until now. So yay for that! I'm also very hyped because I have a copy of book 2: "The Glass Gauntlet"!!! Annnnddd without further ado, here's the cover! 





_________________________________________________________________________________

Here's some info...

Age Range: 10 - 14 years (Bit of violence, sword fighting, guns) (You can probably tell by the cover though...)
Series: The Blood Guard Series (Book 1)
Page Count: 279 pages
Publisher: Two Lions (March 4, 2014)

"When thirteen-year-old Ronan Truelove’s seemingly ordinary mom snatches him from school, then sets off on a high speed car chase, Ronan is shocked. His quiet, nerdy dad has been kidnapped? And the kidnappers are after him, too? 
His mom, he quickly learns, is anything but ordinary. In fact, she’s a member of an ancient order of knights, the Blood Guard, a sword-wielding secret society sworn to protect the Pure—thirty-six noble souls whose safety is crucial if the world as we know it is to survive. 
Now all those after-school activities—gymnastics, judo, survival training—she made him take, make sense. For suddenly Ronan is swept up in a sometimes funny, sometimes scary, but always thrilling adventure—dashing from one danger to the next, using his wits to escape the Bend Sinister, a posse of evil doers with strange powers. Falling in with two unlikely companions, Greta, a scrappy, strong-willed girl he’s never much liked and Jack, a devil-may-care teenage pickpocket, Ronan is left with only his wits and his mom’s last words of advice: Trust no one. 
That’s a lot for an ordinary kid to deal with. But then again, maybe Ronan’s not ordinary at all."

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here are my thoughts...

Before reading- Me: Wow this book looks, um, violent...and scary. Do I really wanna read this? Head: YES!!! Me: Are ya sure? *shudders* Head: Yup. 

While reading- THIS BOOK IS AWESOME OHMIGOD I'M SO HAPPY I READ IT! 

After reading- Now where's my copy of book 2? 

Opinions- WOW. JUST WOW. This book is literally packed with action and car chases and running away from bad guys and all of that fun stuff. If you like something that keeps your heart beating like crazy, this is something for you. I really liked the characters and the plot, and some of the twists had me going back to the page before and re-reading it. It was definitely an interesting one. This is obviously a fiction book (You know how much I love my fiction), but oh jeez, the characters were so real! In the beginning they questioned each other (disbelief, etc.), but throughout the book you can see how the events really brought them together and turned them into friends that trusted and depended on one another. 

The entire story itself is really interesting and it really hooks the reader and has them thinking, "Okay, so what happens next? Will they die? Or will they survive? WHAT IS HAPPENING?" 

As you can see, I loved it! (!!!!!!!!!)

Even though I've already given my opinion(s), here are...

5 Reasons why you should read and love "The Blood Guard"

  • It's very well written. The language is very age-appropriate, even with the slight violence and very easy to understand. The plot is very interesting and there are many twists that you will never see coming. 
  • The characters are believable. They have realistic traits and seem like normal people, even they are super special. The character development is clear and you can see how each character matures deeper and deeper into the book. 
  • Lots of action and adventure. Like I said earlier, if you're looking for something packed with action and adventure, this is the book for you. There are car chases, narrow escapes, and creepy buildings. Everything in here is exciting! 
  • The humor. Okay, so this book is scary. But Carter Roy still finds a way to add in humor in the best times. There are jokes here and there that will make you laugh out loud, but won't make the book less enjoyable (You know, with all of the seriousness)
  • Filled with cool things that don't exist in real life. Carter Roy was very innovative in his book. There are so many interesting things and people that he invented that obviously show that it is fiction, but add a twist to the story. It makes the book fun to read!
_________________________________________________________________________________

My rating...


I gave this book a 5 STARS!!! I loved the action and adventure and characters and the humor and the cool things and everything!!! 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Thank you so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! I'll be doing a review of The Blood Guard book 2: The Glass Gauntlet NEXT week, so yay for that! Bye for now! 

♡,
_________________________________________________________________________________


Links: 

If you'd like to see more of "The Blood Guard" or learn about Carter Roy, click HERE

If you'd like to go back to Shannon Messenger's website or check out some more MMGM's click HERE


18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. I have another huge giveaway the week of Valentines so be sure to tune in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll be sure to check it out!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reviewing! I does sound kind of violent! I think I'll put this on my TBR list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah it's violent, but for a reason! It's not just violent because the author wanted sword fighting...I promise it's good! LOL :-)

      Delete
  3. You make it sound so exciting! I love your enthusiasm for books, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like my reviews. But honestly, good books make my job easy :-p

      Delete
  4. A mother from an order of ancient knights certainly peeks one's interest. This novel sounds like a compelling and fascinating read for teens. Like you enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's true that I'm enthusiastic, haha. It is quite fascinating! Thanks for the comment! :-)

      Delete
  5. Well, that was an enthusiastic thumbs up! Glad you liked it so much. I will try to check it out one of these days. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know what you think! <3

      Delete
  6. Thanks for reviewing! I LOVE this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm glad you like it! <3, Cindy

      Delete
  7. I liked your five reasons a lot. Sounds like an exciting book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love action books with humour and cool gadgets. Your review made me think of one I read recently and I completely can't remember what it was called! *quickly google searches* *discovers it's hard to google-search a book if you can't remember the name . . .* Aha! My library's "borrowing history" saves the day: it was The Paladin Prophecy, by Mark Frost. Blood Guard looks cool: is that his mother he's fighting beside on the cover? That's unusual, and makes me want to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the recommendation! I definitely need to check this one out. As for the cover, I think it's either his mother or Greta, but I'm not sure ;-p...Thanks so much for reading my review and I'm glad that it makes you want to read it! You made my day!

      Delete
  9. I do like this series. Anything with action and adventure is usually popular in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like this series. Anything with action and adventure is usually popular in my library.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS