The Glass Gauntlet (MMGM)

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Hi, everyone!  As promised, this week, I'm reviewing book 2 of "The Blood Guard", which is THE GLASS GAUNTLET! I'm super duper excited about sharing this one with y'all, so let's get started! 

The cover: 




_________________________________________________________________________

Information: 

Age Range: 10 - 14 years
Series: The Blood Guard Series (Book 2)
Page Count: 261 pages
Publisher: Two Lions (August 18, 2015)
How I Got The Book: I won a totally awesome hardcover from Greg! 

Summary: 

"Ronan Truelove barely survived his first encounter with his father and the Bend Sinister. Now, he’s determined to become one of the Blood Guard, a sword-wielding secret society sworn to protect thirty-six pure souls crucial to the world’s survival.

Eager to prove he’s got what it takes, Ronan is sent on his first mission with his friends Greta and Sammy to visit a weird-sounding school and take a series of tests called the Glass Gauntlet. Paper and pencils and nerdy scholarship—where’s the life-or-death challenge in that?

But the Glass Gauntlet is actually something much more dangerous: head-to-head competitions against ruthless opponents. Nothing and no one are what they seem. Who can he trust, and who will kill him? Ronan has to figure it out fast because his enemies are multiplying, and soon he will have to pass the ultimate test: facing his father again and standing up to those who threaten not only him and his friends but also the world."

_________________________________________________________________________

My Opinion: 

This book is definitely on the dark and scary side, but the story focuses more on Ronan and his adventures with his friends. I especially like how Carter Roy didn't spend a lot of time re introducing the story to the people who might've skipped the first book. It got right to the point and the action started very early in the book. It kept me on my toes and I was always rushing to see what would happen on the next page. Oh boy, there are a bunch of plot twists, especially with some of the characters and they really catch you by surprise. You never see it coming! 

Here are the 5 quick reasons why you should read and love "The Glass Gauntlet": 

  • The action. From heartwarming moments, to scary moments, to moments that can change the story entire, there is almost always action packed in every page. 
  • The friendship. I absolutely love the friendship that plays in between Ronan, Greta, and Sammy. It's very realistic and they've learned to trust one another. 
  • The humor. One of the most enjoyable things about this book is the fact that it is very funny. You see something crazy and/or crazy happening, but there's always something to lighten up the scariness of the situation. 
  • The plot twists. There a a ton of these in here, but the one MAJOR one caught me by surprise. ;-p I won't spoil it for you though! (Dun, dun, dun!)
  • The unrepeated-ness. It's quite difficult to write a second book to a series especially when you don't know what to add, what to save for book 3 (YES THERE WILL BE A BOOK THREE, I WAS SO HAPPY WHEN I FOUND OUT!), etc. Carter Roy did a great job, though. You don't have to read through flashbacks for too long before the action. This book was great in general! 
_________________________________________________________________________ 


My Rating...




4.5 stars!!!! ONLY BECAUSE the ending was a cliffhanger, and made me want to time travel to the future to see what happens next, but I suppose that was the goal of book 2 (to make you want to read book 3). ;-p

_________________________________________________________________________

About Carter Roy...(via his website) 

Carter Roy has painted houses and worked on construction sites; waited tables and driven delivery trucks; been a stage hand for rock bands and a videographer on a cruise ship; worked as a line cook in a kitchen, a projectionist in a movie theater, and a rhetoric teacher at a university. He has been a reference librarian and a bookseller, edited hundreds of books for major publishers, and written award-winning short-stories for adult readers that appeared in a half-dozen journals and anthologies.

But this is the first time he has written a novel.

He lives in New York City.

_________________________________________________________________________

That wraps up this weeks MMGM! Thank you so much for joining me today and I hope you have a great week! Bye! 


❤️,
Links: 

If you would like to learn more about Carter Roy, click HERE

If you would like to go back to Shannon Messenger's website or check out more MMGM's click HERE

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this series. Action, humor, and and intriguing story are sure to hook more readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it as much as I did! :-) I'm sure it will hook more readers, but I'm sad to know that there will be only 3 books in the series. *tear* But thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you really enjoyed this one. Not exactly the sort I would read, but you make it sound intriguing. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm glad that I've sparked your interest...this one can't be missed!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS