Emma. G. Loves Boyz (MMGM)

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Hi, everyone! Welcome to MMGM! This this week, I'm reviewing Emma G. Loves Boyz, by Taro Meyer. It's a really cute love story with awesome characters. I think the cover depicts the book perfectly. Take a look! 




Age Recommended: 10+ 
Author: Taro Meyer 
Page Count: 164
Publisher: Red Sky Presents (October 26, 2015)
Source and Format: Paperback, received in exchange for review :-p

(I honestly don't think the Amazon summary does this book justice. So I made my own summary.)

Emma is obsessed with Boyz3000, especially their lead singer, Aaron. So when her friend offers her the chance to go to their concert and meet them in person, she can't say no. And besides, the concert is in the Bahamas! That means meeting new people, eating foreign foods...

Everything is all set for her trip, except for one minor detail. She has to pay for the airplane ticket. Will Emma be able to make enough money to buy a ticket or will all the stress get to her head and prevent her from meeting the 'band of her dreams'? 

And that's not the only problem she's facing. Eight grader hater Renee is causing trouble for Emma. (Argh, mean girls...) 

Seriously, how much can Emma handle?

(I tried!) 



I enjoyed Emma G. Loves Boyz very much! It was a little shaky in the beginning, but I loved the plot, nevertheless. Emma is a really funny and enthusiastic character and makes the story really entertaining to read. She's also really dramatic and had me laughing out loud throughout the book. 

The thing I liked about this book that made it different from the others is the way it was written. It was very teenager-y. (Um...) There are a few emojis/pictures :-) and CAPITALIZATION and punctuation (!!!, ???) that made the book seem like you were actually reading a teenager's journal. There are also headlines (Is that what you call them?) that state the date (Monday, Tuesday, etc) that make it even more like a diary-ish journal thing. 

Another thing I liked about this book was its view on love (or 'like'...). Emma's not your typical totally boy-crazy girl and her story is appropriate for middle grade readers! I think a lot of girls (and boys) can relate to Emma, as she's going through a whole lot of stuff just to meet Boyz3000! 

Another plus to this book is how lovable the characters are. Emma has an unbreakable bond with her siblings and her friends are awesome and always have her back. The only complaint I have about the characters is that I really wanted to know what happened Emma's best friend and her best guy friend who don't go on the trip. I really wish the story expanded more on them because they play an important role in the book. 

I'm a bit torn between saying that the cliffhanger ending was a good thing or bad thing, but I'm leaning toward good because NOW I'M SUPER IMPATIENT FOR BOOK 2! (It seems like all authors are intent on leaving us with cliffhangers *cough* Shannon *cough* but it's not always a bad thing!) 

Super excited for the next book!




And now...For the rating...Drum roll please...*trumpets* 






4.5 STARS! 

It was a really funny and memorable book and I can't see myself giving Emma a low rating! 




Taro Meyer is a Grammy, Parents’ Choice and Audie Award winning Audio Producer who has been producing and directing YA audiobooks for over 20 years, including The Princess Diaries Series, the All American Girl Series, The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisngr) and Judy Blume’s The Pain and the Great One, Here’s to You Rachel Robinson and Tiger Eyes among others.  She lives in New York City and Malibu California.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you all so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 

<3, 







Links: 



To learn more about Emma G. Loves Boyz, click HERE. (You'll have to scroll down a bit.) 

To go to Shannon Messenger's website or check out more MMGM's, click HERE

PS. What did you think of the banners? (I made them myself on Canva!) I'm not sure if I like them or not (I'm indecisive like that, haha), so they may or may not me in my future reviews. Let me know what you think! Thanks! :-) 

10 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard of this book before. For myself, I'm not sure I could handle all that "teenagery" stuff like emojis and ALL CAPS! A little goes a long way. But it's great to know that YOU liked the way it was written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Added this to my wishlist. Also noticed The Blood Guard in your 'You might like this Section' and guess what? I checked it on TBD and did indeed like it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! So happy you liked The Blood Guard! :-)

      Delete
  3. Your summary was excellent! Better than many a 'professional' one out there, in fact. And I like the banners, though I could see them maybe looking odd when paired with other books?

    Great review--this book might not have caught my attention, but now I'm intrigued, and adding it to the stack. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You just made my day! :-) As for the banners, yeah, that's what I thought. They don't go so well with book covers in neon colors and stuff like that. (I'll have to figure something out, haha) Happy to know that I've sparked your interest in Emma's story. Let me know what you think once you get the chance to read it! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. I liked your summary too! This sounds like an interesting read. The connection with her siblings sounds really sweet. Thanks for featuring it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the rec! I love the banners! They remind me of coffee, mmmm...

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS