Keeper of the Lost Cities (MMGM)

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Squeee!!! (Caution: major rant ahead. Brace yourself...) I know you're just as excited as I am to read--er write--my review of Keeper. Of course I've read it already (like, multiple times) (don't you start doubting me), but I realized that I've never posted a review, so I thought well might as well do one since I'm in the process of re-reading all of the books in the series.  (**ALSO*** If you haven't read this book yet, do yourself a favor and GO READ IT. Please. I'm begging you. For those of you who have read it, make sure to look for the question of the day somewhere in this post! Don't worry I'll highlight it in pink or something...) Review time! 

Cover: 


Age Range: 8 - 12 years
Series: Keeper of the Lost Cities (Book 1)
Paperback: 512 pages
Publisher: Aladdin; Reprint edition (August 6, 2013)

"In this riveting debut, a telepathic girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world—before the wrong person finds the answer first.

Twelve-year-old Sophie has never quite fit into her life. She’s skipped multiple grades and doesn’t really connect with the older kids at school, but she’s not comfortable with her family, either. The reason? Sophie’s a Telepath, someone who can read minds. No one knows her secret—at least, that’s what she thinks…

But the day Sophie meets Fitz, a mysterious (and adorable) boy, she learns she’s not alone. He’s a Telepath too, and it turns out the reason she has never felt at home is that, well…she isn’t. Fitz opens Sophie’s eyes to a shocking truth, and she is forced to leave behind her family for a new life in a place that is vastly different from what she has ever known.

But Sophie still has secrets, and they’re buried deep in her memory for good reason: The answers are dangerous and in high-demand. What is her true identity, and why was she hidden among humans? The truth could mean life or death—and time is running out."

My thoughts: 

Words cannot describe how much I love this book. And the series. It's so creative and the storyline is unlike any other book you've read. The plot is very well written and no scene or chapter is there just for the purpose of making the book longer. There's always a reason for something being in the book. 

The length of the book is perfect, not too long, not too short, it's just enough to get the point across and tell Sophie's story, along with some awesomely descriptive details. I love how thought out the elvin world is, Shannnon even added some traditions and elvin-y inventions! (Heck, she even added some elvin government into it too! If that doesn't say something...) 

The creativity in the book is infectious and I can guarantee that you won't be able to put this book down once you've started reading it. Especially the beginning. You're hooked in by the first line of the preface and whoops, you don't even know how much time has passed until you look at the clock and realize that its a school night and you haven't started on your homework yet. This book is quite the thing to keep you busy (This book would be great for long car rides or for reading on an airplane.) 

Don't even get me started on how much I love the characters! The names (I mean come on! Ex: Fitz, Keefe, Bronte, Dex, Alden...), the unique personalities, the friendship! Not to mention, there's a ton of character development that gets you excited for book 2! And book 3! And book 4! And book 5! (Squee! I was super duper excited when I found out book 5 was going to happen! And, I still haven't read book 4 yet. But I promise that a review of it will be up soon!) (UPDATE: I read book 4! A review of it will be up soon!) 

My Rating...





It would be absurd to give this book anything less than 5 stars!


At the beginning of this post, I promised a question of the day. Here it is! 

If you could have a special ability (like one in the elvin world), what would it be and why? 


This question is definitely a tough one to answer BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD ABILITIES TO CHOOSE FROM! I can't decide on one, so I'll give you guys two of my absolute favorites. I'd like to be a Telepath, cuz yanno, reading minds is AWESOME and a Phaser. Come on, walking through walls is pretty cool...

Feel free to answer the question of the day in the comment section below and...

Thanks so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 

♥,









(PS. Sorry if there are any grammatical errors!) 

{Links}: 

If you'd like to learn more about Keeper, click HERE

If you'd like to check out the awesome Shannon Messenger or see more MMGM's click HERE

10 comments:

  1. I so much enjoy this series from our fearless MMGM leader. I too wouldn't mind walking through walls. It would save a lot of time. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES is one of my all-time favorite books, too! What team are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Keeper being awesome! I'm having the hardest time deciding on a team, but KEEFE!
      But then there's Dex, who's totally underestimated. But also Fitz, because I mean *heart eyes*. So yeah, hard time deciding. But if you must, I'm leaning toward Keefe...Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Love the review, and loved the book, as well! As for special abilities...I could definitely go for phaser. But, unpopular as this talent is in the books...I'm also really a pyro, so I'd love to be able to manipulate fire. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, seems like we have a lot of wannabe phasers, haha. Don't worry, I'm want to be one too. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

      Delete
  4. I loved this book as well. Nice review! It's good to keep the word out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read these and they are AMAZING! I am obsessed with them! Can't wait for Lodestar! I would want to be a Polyglot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, seems like we have a lot of wannabe phasers, haha. Don't worry, I'm want to be one too. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!
    http://www.freemahj.com/free-mahjong/

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS