The Island of Dr. Libris (MMGM)

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Happy March, everyone! This week, I'm reviewing The Island of Dr. Libris by Chris Grabenstein. Since he's the same author who wrote Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's library and it's one of my favorite books, I decided to give this one a try. I definitely wasn't disappointed. The cover fits the book perfectly! 



(PS. I know you guys are going to think I'm a total nerd, but 'libris' in Latin means BOOK! Coincidence? I don't think so. *mysterious smile*) 




  • Age Range: 8 - 12 years
  • Page Count: 256 pages
  • Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers (March 24, 2015)
  • Source and Format: Hardcover, my library :-)


"What if your favorite characters came to life? Billy’s spending the summer in a lakeside cabin that belongs to the mysterious Dr. Libris. But something strange is going on. Besides the security cameras everywhere, there’s Dr. Libris’s private bookcase. Whenever Billy opens the books inside, he can hear sounds coming from the island in the middle of the lake. The clash of swords. The twang of arrows. Sometimes he can even feel the ground shaking. It’s almost as if the stories he’s reading are coming to life! But that’s impossible...isn’t it?" 






I had really high expectations for this book, especially since Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library was an amazing read. I wasn't definitely disappointed, it was really good. Not Escape form Mr. Lemoncello's Library good, but close enough. Other than a few bumps along the road, I really enjoyed The Island of Dr. Libris. What I liked about this book? Um, HELLO! it's about book characters coming ALIVE. I mean, who wouldn't want that? (Oh my gosh, if it actually worked, I would totally bring the KOTLC crew to life. Am I right?) 

The characters were really fun and realistic. Billy, the main character, deals with parent troubles, bullies, and all sorts of crazy things happening on the island. We meet all sorts of wacky characters from the books that Billy reads. 

Billy's story shows the importance of reading books and using your imagination. This book also explains as people get older, they use less of your imagination because they think it's better to live in reality (Come on, BOOKS ARE OUR ONLY ESCAPE FROM REALITY!)  and that spending your time imagining things is a waste of time. Reading Billy's story may help you realize that imagination is far more important than you think it is. 

My favorite part of the story was watching all of the stories unfold and collide. Um, let's just say Hercules meets Robin Hood and *mumble mumble whisper*...

Although this technically isn't the ideal place for a trailer, I just decided to put it here anyway. Enjoy! 






And now, for the rating...




4 STARS! 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you so much for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 

<3,









Links: 

If you'd like to lean more about Chris Grabenstein or check out The Island of Dr. Libris, click HERE

If you'd like to return to Shannon Messenger's website or check more MMGM's click HERE


4 comments:

  1. This sounds intriguing. I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but I do like the idea of the characters coming to life and colliding. I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a lot of fun. I loved the Inkheart series with all the characters coming out of the books, so maybe this one would also be one I'd like. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm glad to have sparked your interest!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS