Fish In A Tree (MMGM)

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Hello everyone! Welcome to MMGM! Can you believe it's already April? This year seems to be going so fast! My weekend consisted of rushed studying and a college tour! I went to Tufts with some of my friends and think that it is AMAZING. Not only is the campus beautiful, but the food is delicious! I even got a t-shirt! 


My amazing t-shirt
ANYWAY, this week, I'm reviewing FISH IN A TREE by Lynda Mullaly Hunt. I actually read this one a while ago (February maybe?), but never wrote a review for it, so here goes! 



  • Age Range: 10 and up 
  • Page Count: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Nancy Paulsen Books (February 5, 2015)
Source and Format: My library, paperback


The author of the beloved One for the Murphys gives readers an emotionally-charged, uplifting novel that will speak to anyone who’s ever thought there was something wrong with them because they didn’t fit in.

“Everybody is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing it is stupid.”

Ally has been smart enough to fool a lot of smart people. Every time she lands in a new school, she is able to hide her inability to read by creating clever yet disruptive distractions.  She is afraid to ask for help; after all, how can you cure dumb? However, her newest teacher Mr. Daniels sees the bright, creative kid underneath the trouble maker. With his help, Ally learns not to be so hard on herself and that dyslexia is nothing to be ashamed of. As her confidence grows, Ally feels free to be herself and the world starts opening up with possibilities. She discovers that there’s a lot more to her—and to everyone—than a label, and that great minds don’t always think alike.



First things first: This book is now one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES. I'm not even sure how you could live without reading it. It's a really inspiring story that really helped me realize how hard it is to have dyslexia (or any type of learning disability). Fish In A Tree focuses on Ally, a girl with dyslexia. She doesn't know that she has dyslexia, and neither does anyone else, because she's afraid to ask, thinking that she would come across as dumb. This story helps you see that if you need help, it's okay ask for it!

Then there's the characters. Wowza. The characters in this book may be fictional, but their stories make you want to love them, hug them, and tell them that they're perfect the way they are--even if they don't realize it. I loved Ally and Mr. Daniels so much and they will most definitely stick with me for a long time. 

The plot is amazing. It's wonderfully written and the story doesn't take FOREVER to get to the point, like some books do. It's not rushed either, and the pacing was great. The problem is presented early in the book and the story is not too long and not too short. It's a great read! 

Other things to note: If you guys haven't noticed the title and cover already, it's not literal. The story isn't about a fish trying to climb a tree, I promise! As it states in the synopsis, the cover is supposed to show that if you tell a fish that it's supposed to be able to climb a tree, it will spend its entire life thinking that it's stupid. The fish is Ally and the tree is reading. I love how meaningful the title and cover are! I recommended this book to a few of my friends and they looked at me as if I were crazy. They didn't understand the meaning and will never understand it if they don't read this book. :-) 

I don't have much else to say about this book other than the fact that it was amazing and that I highly recommend it. <3



It's quite predictable:


---------------------------------------------

Thanks for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! ALSO: If you get the chance, make sure to check out my first Book Ramble! Click HERE if you missed it! Leave a comment if you'd like! :-) 

Signing off! 


Links: 

If you'd like to learn more about Fish In A Tree, click HERE

If you'd like to head back to Shannon Messenger's blog or check out more MMGM's, click HERE

15 comments:

  1. This title sound familiar . . . :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one! Your review reminds me of how great it was to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed this one. Your review makes me want to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I keep seeing this book, but the title didn't grab me. But, after I understand the meaning, I'm hooked. This really is the kind of story I like to share. Thanks for convincing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have convinced you. It's a great book!

      Delete
  5. I've heard a lot about this book (and it's already on my TBR list). Love your enthusiasm for it! And I've read that quote recently, which some attribute to Einstein. Apparently, he never actually said it. Here's a link to Quote Investigator: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/04/06/fish-climb/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get the chance to read it! And wow, that's interesting! I just read the article--and thought he said that too! ...But I guess he didn't. ;-p Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good read. I am going to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of it if you get the chance to read it! :-)

      Delete
  7. I hadn't come across this one, and it sounds like it would resonate since Ally and I may have had a thing or two in common. Something I should probably blog about, some time. :)

    Thanks for the recommend, and happy reading! Oh, and nice shirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! Ally is a very unique character, so I'm glad that you two have things in common. This is a great book, so you don't want to miss it!

      Delete
  8. I love the title, and I was wondering what the book could possibly be about! I don't think there are a lot of books out there about dyslexia—sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS