Out Of My Mind (MMGM)

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hello, everyone! Welcome to another day of MMGM! I'm totally not rushing to write this review today because I have Latin declamation tomorrow. *cringe* So nervous! What was I saying? Oh right. MMGM. This week, I'm reviewing "Out Of My Mind", by Sharon M. Draper. It's a lovely read, and those of you who have already read will most definitely agree.


  • Age Range: 10 and up 
  • Paperback: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers; Reprint edition (May 1, 2012)
  • Source and Format: My library, paperback


From award-winning author Sharon Draper comes Out of My Mind, the story of a brilliant girl who cannot speak or write.

“If there is one book teens and parents (and everyone else) should read this year, Out of My Mind should be it” (Denver Post).

Melody is not like most people. She cannot walk or talk, but she has a photographic memory; she can remember every detail of everything she has ever experienced. She is smarter than most of the adults who try to diagnose her and smarter than her classmates in her integrated classroom—the very same classmates who dismiss her as mentally challenged, because she cannot tell them otherwise. But Melody refuses to be defined by cerebral palsy. And she’s determined to let everyone know it…somehow.

In this breakthrough story—reminiscent of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly—from multiple Coretta Scott King Award-winner Sharon Draper, readers will come to know a brilliant mind and a brave spirit who will change forever how they look at anyone with a disability.





  
Words cannot describe how much I loved this book. The writing style was really interesting to read and Melody's story really touches your heart.

The first thing that caught my attention? The moral. At the beginning of the story, Melody is really unsure of herself and she cares very much about what people see or think about her. She's used to people staring and people thinking that she's unintelligent, but let's just say that by the end of the story, she's become a confident and brave individual. 

The discrimination is real. Melody doesn't have many friends, because she's always been in the same "Special Ed" class. One day, her whole world changes: "Special Ed" kids are suddenly allowed to go to inclusion classes (which is basically when "Special Ed" students go to classes with the other students). There, she makes a friend, but not everyone seems to like her. People still think that she's weird or that she's not smart, which really ticked me off. Like come on people! Although it really annoyed me, it showed how real the story was. 

I just really love the fact that Melody doesn't give in to her peers. They tell her she's not good enough, they try to bring her down, but she knows she's just like them on the inside, just not the outside. 

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the beginning. It was really...slow. Like, super slow. The first 6 chapters were flashbacks to when she was a child and discovering that something was 'wrong' about her. Alright, so maybe that gives us an insight to who she is/was, but 6 chapters? That's a bit much. We could've done without ALL of that. 

Even with its flaws, this is a great book. It might've been a bit boring in the beginning, but the ending really made up for it. :-) 




My rating is...




HUZZAH! FIVE STARS! 



Sharon M. Draper is a professional educator as well as an accomplished writer. She has been honored as the National Teacher of the Year, is a five-time winner of the Coretta Scott King Literary Award, and is a New York Times bestselling author. She lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.
---------------------------------

Thank you for joining me this week for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 

Bye! 


Links: 

If you would like to find out more about Sharon M. Draper or check out OUT OF MY MIND, click HERE

If you would like to head back to Shannon Messenger's site to check out more MMGM's click HERE


16 comments:

  1. People keep telling me to read this book and now I have to add you to that group. You've made it sound so inspiring! Good luck with your Latin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you really SHOULD read this book--it's a great read. And thank you! :-)

      Delete
  2. Great review Cindy! I loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite Sharon Draper books. Melody is such a realistic, lovable, clever and funny character. The book has huge success worldwide and will be made into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be made into a movie?! I didn't know that! So excited now--I can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I agree. A great story and also one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover and title. I especially appreciate that the main character does not give in to peer pressure. Kids need models like that. Excellent review. I will look into this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely phrasing! :-) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favorite MG books of all time! So excited to see you feature it. I used to teach special ed, so it really rang true for me, especially the discrimination. Sharon Draper's other books are good too--she writes with a lot of heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites too! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  7. I loved this book also (but don't remember it being so slow.) Your reviews are great!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS