Not If I See You First (YA Reviews)

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Hey guys! I have finals this upcoming week! So yes, I will be gone for a bit, but please, PLEASE, bear with me! I promise I'll be back during the summer more frequent reviews! Anyway this is my first review in a while (YAY finally!), so excuse any of my excessive rambling. Please welcome, Not If I See You First, by Eric Lindstrom. (And look at the pretty cover!)


  • Age Recommended: 12 and up  (There's a bit of swearing)
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Poppy (December 1, 2015)
  • Language: English

In the tradition of novels of Gayle Forman and John Green comes this extraordinary YA debut about a blind teen girl navigating life and love in high school.

Parker Grant doesn't need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That's why she created the Rules: Don't treat her any differently just because she's blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart.

When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there's only one way to react--shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that's right, her eyes don't work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn't cried since her dad's death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened--both with Scott, and her dad--the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken.

Combining a fiercely engaging voice with true heart, debut author Eric Lindstrom's Not If I See You First illuminates those blind spots that we all have in life, whether visually impaired or not.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Thoughts: 


There are so many things I liked about this book, but let me begin with Parker. She's snarky, kind of selfish, but so so so so FIERCE. And that's what I loved about her. She's not the type of person to lie because being upfront and honest is what she's about. Although the synopsis might lead you to think that Not If I See You First is a romance novel, I find it more friendshippy? I mean, yeah it definitely has romance in it, but the friendship is what really grabs your attention. Sarah (one of her closest friends) is amazing. Their friendship is OUT. OF. THIS. WORLD. That's all I have to say.

Another reason why I really liked this book was how Parker's blindness is portrayed. She doesn't seem to let it get in her way, and I loved how realistic things were. The problems/situations that she faces are super realistic too, and you can totally understand things. It's also really well written, so if that doesn't say something....

There are also a few little things that made this book super cool too, not just the writing. The title has braille in it (If you look closely at the image, you can kind of see it) and so do the chapter titles. Although it might seem like a small detail, it fits perfectly with the book and it makes you just love it more! <3

There was a bit of swearing in this book, but I was able to look past that, since it's not OFTEN, and I guess Eric Lindstrom felt that it was necessary to express Parker's feelings...? I dunno. But it's not a really big problem, at least in my opinion
.

Overall? It's a great book with really sweet and caring characters that are not only make you want to love them, but make you remember them long after the last page. This one is truly a keeper. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Rating: 




There's no reason *not* to give Not If I See You First a 5 star rating! 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for reading my review! I hope you have a nice week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS