The Thing About Jellyfish (MMGM)

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Happy Columbus day everyone! I'm back today with another review! There has been a lot of hype for this one in the book community, so I was really enthusiastic to pick it up. It's been on my TBR for a while now, and entering the book, I had some really high expectations. Clearly, the book has met and exceeded my expectations. It even managed to, uh, provoke some tears...Either way, I really enjoyed this one, and hope you will / did too! 


Age Range: 10 - 13 years
Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers 
Source and Format: Hardcover, and the library! :-P

This stunning debut novel about grief and wonder was an instant New York Times bestseller and captured widespread critical acclaim, including selection as a 2015 National Book Award finalist!

After her best friend Franny dies in a drowning accident, Suzy is convinced that the true cause of the tragedy must have been a rare jellyfish sting-things don't just happen for no reason. Retreating into a silent world of imagination, she crafts a plan to prove her theory--even if it means traveling the globe, alone. Suzy's achingly heartfelt journey explores life, death, the astonishing wonder of the universe...and the potential for love and hope right next door.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Thoughts: 


"It's peculiar how no-words can be better 
than words. Silence can say more than noise, 
in the same way that a person's absence 
can occupy even more space than their presence did." 

I'm really blown away by Ali Benjamin's writing. It's so...so raw, and so real, and really hits at home for those who have lost a loved one. 

Suzy is an incredible character. Even from a reader's perspective, you can tell that she genuinely cares about Franny. She works tirelessly thinking and reading and researching facts about jellyfish. Suzy may not always make the best decisions, but she's definitely an embodiment of the phrase "It's not how we make mistakes, but how we correct them that defines us." 

Not only is Suzy sincere, but she is also very smart. (LOL, Smart Sincere Suzy) Her character is very unique, and you can see the thought put into her development. She doesn't talk very much, as a matter of fact, she barely talks at all, so the story takes place perhaps in her perspective, not outside, but in her mind. 

She's a really great person, and even with her flaws, I'm sure readers will aspire to have her loyalty and intelligence. Suzy has quickly become one of my favorite characters, and I don't doubt it for a second that future readers will agree. 

I want to note though, that this is a very sad book. It's quite the tearjerker, as it's about loss and letting go. 

But whether you just lost a close friend, or are a daring adventurer seeking an intriguing read, I can guarantee that this book will fulfill your needs. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Rating: 


One of my absolute favorite books of all time! 


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Thank you all for joining me for MMGM and I hope you have a nice week! 


22 comments:

  1. This does sound sad, but I've heard great things about it. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I hope you get a chance to read it! <3

      Delete
  2. I liked this one, too. The writing was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I was really shocked when I first started reading TTAJ, there were so many good quotes!

      Delete
  3. I really liked this book when I read it, too. I thought Suzy was a wonderful character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy is an excellent character, and I'm glad you agree! :-P

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your sweet words with us about how the book affected you. I fell in love with the premise and cover for this one the moment I first heard about it. It's in my pile to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! <3 I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Cindy, I totally agree. This one made me cry. Such a sweet and sad tale. And the writing was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! Glad you agree. I definitely won't be forgetting this one anytime soon!

      Delete
  6. I tend to shy away from sad books, but I'm intrigued by your comments on the writing and the jellyfish aspect. If it wasn't sad, my son would love this (he loves jellyfish). But I'll have to read this for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a must. I hope you enjoy it! :-)

      Delete
  7. I always question the validity of "New York Times Best-sellers," but it sounds like I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh, you need to! I question those books too, some end up, uh, not what I hoped they would be, but this one is different! It was amazing. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. I keep seeing this book and hearing good things about it. I like sweet and sad stories, because there is usually a glimmer of hope. I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there definitely is a lot of hype for this one in the book community. It has sweet and sad factors, and there's a bit of hope in there too, but it's Suzy and her story that really captivates you. Thanks for the comment and I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I don't know about sad books! Sometimes you do want to cry. If it's well-enough done, and it sounds like this one is ...

    What I'm saying is maybe I'll read it. If I feel up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! It's an amazing read. You will not regret it! Oh, but also keep a box of tissues with you. You know, just in case. ;-P

      Delete
  10. I've been hearing a lot of good things about this book. I need to get some time to read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squee! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  11. Life, death, secrets of the jellyfish... definitely putting this on my library reserve list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very intriguing indeed! I hope you like it!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS