Lodestar (Book Review/Rant)

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Happy New Year! I can't believe it's already 2017. It's crazy, isn't it? 

Today I'm reviewing Lodestar! I'm aware that I am quite late to the party, seeing as Lodestar was released in November...But better late than never, right? :D If you haven't seen (or read) Lodestar already (whatareyoudoingwithyourlife ????), I BEG you to, and if my voice of incredible reason weren't enough, look at the cover! (It's my favorite cover of the series, but I might be biased. You all know my obsession with Tam Song, hehe.)

(***I'm going to keep this review (relatively) spoiler free, but if you'd like my insights / rants about the book in more depth, I will be posting a separate Goodreads review.) 


  • Age Range: 8 - 12 years (But definitely mature 8-12 year olds! The theme is much darker than the others in the series, and there's an abundance of violence as well. So beware!) 
  • Series: Keeper of the Lost Cities (Book 5)
  • Hardcover: 688 pages
  • Publisher: Aladdin (November 1, 2016)

Dark schemes unfold—and Sophie’s loyalty is pushed to the limit—in this thrilling fifth book in the bestselling Keeper of the Lost Cities series.

Sophie Foster is back in the Lost Cities—but the Lost Cities have changed. The threat of war hangs heavy over her glittering world, and the Neverseen are wreaking havoc.

The lines between friend and enemy have blurred, and Sophie is unsure whom to trust. But when she’s warned that the people she loves most will be the next victims, she knows she has to act.


A mysterious symbol could be the key—if only she knew how to translate it. Every new clue seems to lead deeper into her world’s underbelly and the Black Swan aren’t the only ones who have plans. The Neverseen have their own Initiative, and if Sophie doesn’t stop it, they might finally have the ultimate means to control her.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


My Thoughts: 

"Time is a funny thing. Once it's gone, it's gone. But then it passes to someone else. You'll do great things with it, Sophie. Wonderful, incredible things." 

I'm not going to lie, Lodestar managed to surprise me. It was exciting to see something new come out of the series, but of course, with change comes difference, and with difference comes opinion (And yes, that means both good and bad.) :D

>THE WRITING: I'm not sure if I'm even qualified to say this, but I feel that Shannon's writing style has definitely settled and become something really, truly beautiful. I don't mean that her writing wasn't exceptional in the first 4 books (Mind you, they were all well written.), but it's clear that Shannon took it to another level for Lodestar. She makes it appear as if Sophie's story is not just a group of words cleverly put together, but a piece of art that should be admired in a museum. 

(Oh, and as the Tumblr dubbed angst queen, I MUST give Shannon credit for her angst. It was really well done. Extra points for almost making me cry.) 

>CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: I'm a bit iffy on this subject, not turning against, but also not rooting for. I'm extremely satisfied with the new things we learn about side characters and their reasoning for actions in previous books, but I'm also a little disappointed that some characters seemed to be thrown to the side and forgotten, only being brought back when their role seemed necessary. I understand the logic behind the heyyou'reonlyherewhenweneedya, but it's still a bit saddening to go into a book being *SO READY* to have adventures with a certain character and not really seeing them that much. 

And you can't forget 2 certain characters who are my favorite people in the world not getting that much of a backstory and development. D: But I'm still hopeful to see how Shannon handles them in the next book. (Which, may I mention, is very, very far away....*flops dramatically to the ground*) 

PROTAGONIST: I suppose you could argue that this ties into character development, but we need to discuss Sophie. 

I love Sophie. A lot. 

But her behavior and just abilities (I'm going to include power and influence along with this) are really...*EXPLOSION*

Ahem. Allow me to explain. 

I find it hard to believe that a character can be 'the most' of everything. And I feel that in Lodestar, Sophie is prominently seen and described and told that she's 'THE MOST'. 

The most powerful. The most smart (at least, in her time of need). The most well planned, the person who everyone comes to when they seek help or advice. Not to mention that having the most abilities. Or being the only person able to succeed in doing things no one else can. 

And like I said earlier, I LOVE SOPHIE! But just in this book, in this case, she seems to rise over all her friends and peers and even the Council and Neverseen. By doing this, not only has she become one of those flat, YEAHIMTHEBEST, characters, she's also pushing the idea that everyone is inferior to her and it takes out the fun of having all her side character buddies, you know? 

I'm totally down for the idea of Sophie saving the world and killing the Neverseen in a punch, but not quite in the direction that she seems to be going in. 

And I get it, she's modest, she's 'created that way', and she has her own problems, but I find it hard to believe that Sophie's so powerful that everyone believes she herself has the power to fix the world. 

((Besides, the side characters are also super powerful??? I love them so much.))

WOW, my rambling has become pretty excessive, hasn't it? It appears I to have lots of say about this book, ha. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


My Rating: 



3.5 stars! I'll admit, Lodestar isn't my favorite book of the series, but if you can overlook a bit of the protagonist / overall character development, it's still enjoyable! And of course, if you've been keeping up with the Keeper books, I also recommend reading it... I won't spoil anything but, some crucial events do occur! 


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you all so much for joining and I hope you have a nice week! <33


2 comments:

  1. Cindy, you're back! I haven't read this one. Interesting about the different direction Sophie seems to going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne! It's been so long since I've posted, haha. And yes, it's definitely interesting. Have you seen the synopsis for Nightfall? I'm so excited!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS